starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need advice on selecting women's squat shoes

Default need advice on selecting women's squat shoes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Now that I'm finally starting to squat above my body weight (120 lbs) my arches are starting to get sore from time to time. In reading this forum, I assume that purchasing real squat shoes will help (have been wearing Nike crosstrainers). I will have to purchase these online and would appreciate any advice on brands and women's sizing.

I used to wear narrow shoes when younger, but now that I'm older my heal remains narrow but my toe area is medium. I like the fit of Nike's because of this, but Nike doesn't make squat shoes. I also have tiny ankles which sometimes get a little wobbly under heavier weight, but no problems with the rest of my legs or joints so far.

Nike makes weightlifting shoes. They are called romaleos. I love mine.

Nike DOES make a weightlifting shoe: Romaleos.

Nike Romaleos 2 Weightlifting Shoes - Rogue Fitness

Thanks. I couldn't find them originally on line.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Nike makes weightlifting shoes. They are called romaleos. I love mine.
    From the pictures online the heel looks squishy. I assume it's not. Also with a 3" standing vertical jump (no kidding) I can only do the slow lifts: OP, bpd, dsl and squats. Don't see power cleans and jerks in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by crabcakelover View Post
    From the pictures online the heel looks squishy. I assume it's not. Also with a 3" standing vertical jump (no kidding) I can only do the slow lifts: OP, bpd, dsl and squats. Don't see power cleans and jerks in my future.
    They're incompressible. And perfectly acceptable for the slow lifts, as are other weightlifting shoes with incompressible soles. Good luck.

Nope, they are solid, incompressible heels.

For another option, I recently bought these shoes for my wife. Reebok CrossFit Lifter Plus 2.0 | Rogue Fitness

I have doubts about the durability of the metatarsal straps, but first impressions are that it's a very good shoe.

Get the Romaleos if you prefer to wear a Nike shoe. You'll know how they fit. I had to size down a bit to get them to be snug. Maybe Melody can give you some sizing ideas as I think the sizes are in Men's.

The Romaleos are great, but they're ~$200, so they should be great. I had to have the metatarsal strap cut and shortened, but I like mine. The Pendlay Do-wins are around $100, and the Wei-Ruis are even less. Adidas' top of the line is the Adipower, and they also have others with a lower (.6 inch) heel.

starting strength coach development program
    I have Rogue's Do-Wins: Rogue Weightlifting Shoes - 3/4" - Do-Win

They are great and cheap, and work perfectly for me. There's no inherent difference between men's and women's shoes -- just convert your size to men's sizing and go to town (you can measure your feet if you really want to be sure). I have flat/fallen arches so I stuck a cheap/generic arch support in mine and it works perfectly. Helps with my wobbly ankles/pronation issues too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast