starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - The Flush

Default Squat Form Check - The Flush

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I posted this previously in the Technique forum, but I would like to get some SSC feedback so I am posting it here.

I just turned 50. 6'1" and a fat 276 pounds. I stopped training back in April due to significant knee pain from a torn meniscus that happened in mid January. I believe that excessive knee side caused the injury. I only made it up to 210 pounds on my squat when I stopped training. I cancelled a planned knee surgery in June and finally feel good enough to train. I am starting completely over with light weights to focus on form to try to prevent re-injury. Here is the 3rd set at 125 pounds. Please let me know what to work on.

Double posting is a no no, as per the sticky. But you just turned 50, so I will give this one to you.

The bar appears to be too high up on your back for a low bar squat. As you descend, you significantly round your upper back and raise your elbows. Provided your shoulders can accommodate it, I would move the bar down lower and avoid raising your elbows as you descend. Don't point your toes out quite so far. I cannot say for sure from here, but I suspect you are actually driving your knees out too much, too. Once you are not rounding your back, you will be able to descend a little faster, which will help things along, too.

Thanks Tom.

It hurts like heck to get the bar much lower, unless I go for a wider grip. I was trying to get a narrower grip because I thought it would help with keeping the back tighter. I trained tonight and felt I got the bar lower, but I could feel it wanting to roll up a little bit. I try to tighten my upper back almost like on a deadlift, but then again I suck at setting my back for deadlifts too. I will work on the Horn low bar stretch and on keeping my back tighter and elbows down.

I have felt like I get up on the outside edge of my shoes sometimes, so that could be from driving my knees out too much. It feels like I can't get more depth without doing that though.

My phone died Friday and I won't have the replacement to shoot new video until Tuesday. I have a couple video since the one in this post, but they are not of tonight's session. I will train again Sunday and then Wednesday and will try to get new video on Wednesday.

In the event your shoulders cannot accommodate low bar, high bar awaits. It may solve some of these problems, provided you can stay more upright in the high bar position. If you lean over a lot in a high bar squat, you will potentially run into the same problems with the bar rolling up on you. Don't be afraid to go and see a coach, too.

Here is video of my latest session at what was supposed to be 175 lbs. However I miss loaded the bar for the first 2 sets and only had 172.5 because the left side had a 2.5 lb plate instead of a 5 lb plate. Corrected to 175 for the 3rd set seen here. I also recorded the 1st set from the rear to look at my stance and to look for some funky hip action that I sometimes feel (but not necessarily this set).

My stance looked a little narrow to me in the 1st set and I widened it a little for the other 2 but I don't know if I should have.

I still struggle to keep the bar low enough, although it did not feel as if it rolled up my back as much as before. I try to keep my upper back tight and elbows down, but sometimes I can feel it loosen as I get towards the bottom.

These don't look deep enough and in my untrained mind feel I need to sit back more/sooner and chest down sooner. I struggle to reconcile chest down and tight back and feel like when I point my chest down it causes me to loosen my back.

What should I focus on the most and should I add weight next time or try to improve technique before adding more weight.

starting strength coach development program
    You are correct that these squats are high. The stance in your first set is too narrow, too. However, you may have fixed that subsequently. The bar is still significantly rolling up your back. A narrow grip is great, except for when it is not. You need to keep your elbows down as you descend. This will help to fight the rounding of the upper back. Honestly, you need a coach. A session with a coach could help resolve these issues, or help you to come up with workarounds. I would potentially consider a shoe with a bigger heel, too. The Adidas Powerlifts kinda suck. They squish and, for you, a 3/4" heel might not be a bad thing in your quest for depth. So, my recommendations: book a session with a coach. Go deeper. Don't lift your elbows as you descend. Let's see where that gets you.