starting strength gym

Thread: Scapular winging

Default Scapular winging

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys,

I'm curious how one would deal with scapular winging.

Thanks,

Al

In genuine cases of scapular winging prayer is probably your best option. All kidding aside, scapular winging is a neurological condition. There are no exercises or stretches that will fix it. The long thoracic nerve does not properly innervate the seratus anterior. If this was a result of injury and the nerve eventually heals, then it will be corrected. Lots of people like to diagnose "scapular winging," but it is often not really winging. If you just tend to protract your scapulae due to bad posture or other habits, barbell training and chinups/pullups are a nice way to make the area stronger. Making an effort to sit up and stand up more actively will help, too. However, I repeat, a true winged scapula is not a strength or flexibility issue. It is a nerve issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    In genuine cases of scapular winging prayer is probably your best option. All kidding aside, scapular winging is a neurological condition. There are no exercises or stretches that will fix it. The long thoracic nerve does not properly innervate the seratus anterior. If this was a result of injury and the nerve eventually heals, then it will be corrected. Lots of people like to diagnose "scapular winging," but it is often not really winging. If you just tend to protract your scapulae due to bad posture or other habits, barbell training and chinups/pullups are a nice way to make the area stronger. Making an effort to sit up and stand up more actively will help, too. However, I repeat, a true winged scapula is not a strength or flexibility issue. It is a nerve issue.
    Thanks Tom. Mine may be neurological as I’ve heard throwing a baseball can damage the long thoracic nerve(I was a pitcher).

Who diagnosed you?

A PT friend of mine.

starting strength coach development program
    It is possible, but I would probably rather hear it from a physician. Winging scapula is an often overused term. Do the program and chin regularly. Two or three times a week. If you really want extra credit, do some barbell rows. Everything will likely be good.