starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How wide should PC grip is?

Default How wide should PC grip is?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Should ones try to get their grip as narrow as their flexibility allow?

I could rack the bar with really narrow grip but with narrow grip, I always hit the bar with my knees when I jump.

I tried to widen the grip by 2-3 fingers each side and suddenly the bar no longer hits my knees.

Is this a matter of technique or body proportion? Is there any other way to find out the optimal grip width?

Depending on flexibility in racking the weight, a little wider than deadlift usually. If you can't rack it, take a wider grip or stretch it out.

Now, when you say "really narrow", your grip is still outside your thighs, right? Just wanting to make sure you don't mean the equivalent of a sumo power clean

as wide as yo mama

Wider gets it higher. Dont snatch grip it though.

What's wrong with snatch gripping it?

Well...for power snatches it would be just fine. Unless you need to strengthen your suicide grip for long chopper rides.

If you hit your knees and it hurts you are doing it wrong. Or you have have arms down to your kneecaps. You are probably jumping too early.

According to research 24.23% of people have issues with form.

97.4323353% of 59.456% of the time it is 100% bad to ever hit the knees with a barbell.

Research shows that power is not developed by impacting the knees more than 13% of the time.
    for power

Quote Originally Posted by Chode View Post
    If you hit your knees and it hurts you are doing it wrong. Or you have have arms down to your kneecaps. You are probably jumping too early.
    ^this. The jump doesn't happen until after the bar clears the knees.

Are you using the learning method as detailed in the book?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Tin View Post
    Should ones try to get their grip as narrow as their flexibility allow?

I could rack the bar with really narrow grip but with narrow grip, I always hit the bar with my knees when I jump.

I tried to widen the grip by 2-3 fingers each side and suddenly the bar no longer hits my knees.

Is this a matter of technique or body proportion? Is there any other way to find out the optimal grip width?
    Suggested placement for hand is around half a fist or so wider than your shoulders. If you have a more toes out-knees out position for pulling then your arms will have to bend around the knee. This should be avoided by new lifters. (Greg Evert's book).

As a indicator when you hold the bar in the standing position the bar should rest against the upper thigh (so below the hip joint). Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast