starting strength gym

Thread: Best Belts Standard vs Soft

Default Best Belts Standard vs Soft

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was getting ready to order a Powerlifting Belt from Best Belts and noticed a standard and soft which has a broke in feel. Any down side in ordering the soft?

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear59 View Post
    I was getting ready to order a Powerlifting Belt from Best Belts and noticed a standard and soft which has a broke in feel. Any down side in ordering the soft?
    I bought the Athletic cut belt with the "broken-in" feel and a single prong. I love it. Great belt and it was pretty damn stiff too when I got it (for a broken in belt). Its still pretty stiff actually. I've had it since about December-January-ish.

my broken in belt is just now feeling broken in for real, 9 months later.

I have both. Get the soft.

Not that I'm any authority on anything strength related, but I just wanted to add that Dean recommended the soft one to me, and it was instantly useful on workout 1. A few weeks in, it stopped causing bruising of any kind.

I'd highly recommend it.

I haven't tried the stiffer version, but I ordered the soft athlete belt last december - and it is the best weightlifting belt I have ever used (had an inzer prior). For reference - I used the inzer for about 2 years, and the best belt felt more broken in on day 1, then the inzer did the entire time I used it.

I would call dean, instead of ordering over the internet. He can punch the holes custom to your waist size, instead of getting the generic s/m/l/xl.

I have a 33inch waist, and the belt fits me perfectly on the exact center hole, with 4 holes on each side.

To expand on the customization I was a fat ass when I ordered the belt so he have me 6 holes on the thinner side, 4 for more fatty. Only issue is 3 months of rfl made me smaller than the 6.

I got the stiff version about 18 months ago. Took some getting used to at first but its fine now. Squatting with it 3 times a week, and deadlifting 1-2 times a week broke it in fast.

I recommend giving Dean a call and getting a customized belt for the same price. He'll get you to explain your current training, where you're headed with it, etc and make a recommendation from there.

edit:

If you'd rather just order one I'd go with the athletic, broken in (soft), single prong.

starting strength coach development program
    I've bought two and each time he "broke it in" for me. It was still rather stiff but, very wearable. I recommend this as well for anyone.

Athletic and single prong for both.