starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initial Weights an Indication of Potential?

Default Initial Weights an Indication of Potential?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Is is safe to say that everyone has the genetic potential to bench 300lbs and squat 400lbs? My initial weights are dismal compared to my friends and I was wondering if I would ever be able to catch up, or surpass them.

If not, would stalling points (given enough food and rest) be a better indicator of potential?

Not everyone has the potential to do anything. It is most definitely not safe to assume that everyone can squat 400 and bench 300. How about your mom? And I don't know what you mean by sticking points indicating anything about your training potential, since at best they might indicate your adherence or lack thereof to a correctly designed program (food and rest being components of this).

I guess I should have said typical male lifter, because that's what I consider myself to be. I just heard from someone that wrist size tends to be an indicator of someone's potential to get big, hence strong. I was wondering if you've noticed this to be true or any possible exceptions to this theory.

There is no such thing as a "typical male lifter". Some 200 lb. guys will bench 300, some will not. A few 150 lb. guys will bench 300, many will not. Very few 5' 2" guys will bench 300, most will not. Quit listening to everything you hear; most of it equivalent to the sounds made by your air conditioner.

I refuse to believe that wrist size correlates with strength potential. I have more confidence in those who profess that whoever said that skinny wrists limit your potential also said that you need to buy their product to compensate.

Anyways, isn't part of the game to find out what your potential is as you approach it?

Well, if wrist size has anyhting to do with it the I shouldn't have 1RM of 500# for both DL and Sqaut, so there goes that theory.

I would say that you need to spend a year or two plugging away at it in the gym and see where you get.

Nothing good comes easy, or overnight.

It isn't called "working out" because it's a game.

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but I have a related question.

Rip,

how long does it take for you to get an inkling of a trainees genetic potential? After the first session with a new guy do you have any idea at all? Or possibly, you don't really know until they get to be advanced and can/cannot see elite potential at that point. I would think that a trainee that has a really long novice phase, gaining the whole time (meaning it wasn't long because of failure to follow the program) would bode well for their long term potential - but maybe not.

Regards,

Matt

Genetic potential for power is usually pretty apparent to the trained eye; guys that have the potential for a 38" vertical just have a way they move that you can recognize quickly. Strength potential is less apparent, and I have not worked with endurance athletes enough to know about that.

I think Matt has an interesting question, but maybe it needs to be more specific: is the outcome of a novice progression an indicator of one's genetic potential? I think there's probably some sense to this idea... it seems that someone who is genetically blessed will be able to maintain a linear progression for a long time before more complexity is needed.

But perhaps this is not true at all, and someone who was only able to maintain a linear progression for a few months is able to make solid gains for years on a weekly schedule...

Tor

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Weakling View Post
    Is is safe to say that everyone has the genetic potential to bench 300lbs and squat 400lbs? My initial weights are dismal compared to my friends and I was wondering if I would ever be able to catch up, or surpass them.

If not, would stalling points (given enough food and rest) be a better indicator of potential?
    Look, um, Weakling. Coming from someone who is often tired, unmotivated, insecure, full of excuses, and stressed out by life, I have to say, fuck the dismal initial weights, fuck catching or surpassing your friends, fuck genetic potential and stalling points. Fuck skinny wrists, too.

I am a novice through and through, and I don't really claim to know anything about this game (last time I thought I knew something, Coach pointed out that I was, in fact, incorrect), but I would advise you to: Be thorough and diligent, try hard, don't worry about how much weight you're adding, and just keep at it. Provided you do those things, you may reach whatever potential you have. You might even surprise the shit out of yourself by finding out, to quote (or, at least, paraphrase) the Wise and Large-armed Coach Rippetoe, that your limits are seldom what you think they are. I did, and I am still progressing past where I thought I would.

Anyway, even if some ironclad metric could predict your potential, would you not lift the weights if the prediction was not all you had hoped for? You could give up, resigned to the fact that you won't be the strongest or the best at something -- hell, most people won't be the strongest or the best. Or you could take the ride, get a bit stronger, a bit tougher, and do a hell of a lot more for yourself than most people ever do. Like many of life's little adventures, this one is tedious, and sweaty, and a pain in the ass, but it is worth it.

God, I sound like an old man. And it's past my bedtime. Bah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast