starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Comp Change - 7 weeks

Default Body Comp Change - 7 weeks

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    As the title suggests, I have 7 weeks to make the biggest change in body composition that I can - I have a friends wedding to attend.

I have been following the SS program for 8 workouts now (with no cardio and not paying huge attention to diet), with the current stats to date:

Body Weight: 114kg (250lbs) (started 117kg, 258lbs)
    Body Fat: 25-27% (according to electrical impedance scales at the gym)
    Height: 5'10

Squat: 100kg (220lbs) (started 60kg, 132lbs)
    Bench: 67.5kg (148lbs) (started 50kg, 110lbs)
    Press: 40kg (88lbs) (started 30kg, 66lbs)
    Dead: 110kg (242lbs) (started 70kg, 154lbs)
    Clean: 52.5kg (115lbs) (started - bar)

I suffered a lower back injury in the military and had to stop all training, lumping on 60lbs in the process (you know it's time to change when your nanna-in-law tells you matter-of-factly that you've gotten fat). I started lifting to strengthen everything again, and visit the chiro regularly. My back is fine with all lifts, and if I do tweak anything the chiro can sort it out in a day or so. My back is not fine with running or long distance walking, it screws me up for 4-5 days (cycling and rowing are fine)

I'm starting a paleoesque diet (I had success before joining the military, dropping 40lbs following atkins and know it's going to be rough initially) and, providing I follow it through, am looking for advice on what I can do on Tuesdays, Thursdays and weekends to help and speed up the body comp changes. After the wedding it will be full steam ahead with pure strength training again.

I have 1 hour each day in the afternoons to go to the gym (mornings are generally out with a baby, toddler and mrs to sort out). Any advice on what I should do on the extra days would be greatly appreciated (intervals on the bike, rest, rowing, whatever).

Thanks,

ssau

Quote Originally Posted by ssau View Post
    I have been following the SS program for 8 workouts now
    Stay on it for the next 7 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Stay on it for the next 7 weeks
    So DFWTP for the best changes.

You would have to watch your recovery, but HIIT on the bike once or maybe twice a week could help you. If your back hurts from running there is no real need for it.

The electrical impedance scales are very inaccurate. Mine says I'm at 28% which would make me outright obese, which is not true at all.

If your HIIT hamper your lifts, I'm not sure if you would be better served by reducing the HIIT or the lifting, you would need the opinion of people more experienced on the matter.

you're going to be really, really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ssau View Post
    So DFWTP for the best changes.
    Well you've only been doing it for 2 weeks. Try it at least for 2 months before you mess with it.

You're a fat guy - you're friends aren't going to notice if you lose 10 pounds before the wedding. But if you go to Beast Mode, you might pull down some Bridesmaid Tail.

ps - Keep up the good work, your 300 lb deadlift is coming soon

You're a fat guy - you're friends aren't going to notice if you lose 10 pounds before the wedding. But if you go to Beast Mode, you might pull down some Bridesmaid Tail.
    They might, I haven't seen them in 3 months, and wont see them again until the wedding (it's interstate), but point taken.

ps - Keep up the good work, your 300 lb deadlift is coming soon
    I look forward to it.

My experience in the last 8 weeks might help you out some, and it seems our physiques are about the same. I started SS largely to lose a lot of fat I have been carrying around.

I weigh around 235 pounds, a good chunk of it is fat.
    Height: 5'11"

Squat: 245 lbs. (+5 lbs. each workout)
    Deadlift: 265 lbs. (+5 lbs. each workout)
    Bench: 190 lbs. (micro loading +2.5 lbs.)
    Press: 150 lbs. (micro loading +2.5 lbs.)
    Power clean: 145 lbs. (micro loading +2.5 lbs.)

Early July I donated my clothes as they no longer fit (went from 270's to 230's). New shorts with a 40" waist fitted comfortably and I bought one 38" waist shorts because they were on sale and I knew I would need them soon. From mid July to today (about 6-7 weeks), the 40" waist shorts need a belt, I can fit into the 38" comfortably and just found out the other day I can force on 36" shorts (but too tight to wear comfortably).

During the past weeks I have been diligent with SS, really tightened up my nutrition, and added walking. I believe the nutrition and walking were key to losing the waist size (my body weight has stayed about the same). I eat a minimum of 200g of protein a day, and end up eating around 3,000-3,5000 calories total. I make sure that I increase the weight each time, and if I struggle during a particular workout I up my calories to about 4,000 for that day. Every day I take a 30 minute to 1 hour walk, nothing too intense. Usually in the morning before I eat breakfast on my non SS days to take advantage of the fact my body hasn't had any food for 8 hours. I also added a walk in the evening before sunset because I have been very happy with the results so far and want to drive it a little faster. I have not noticed any detriment to my lifts by walking twice a day.

After reading John Sheaffer's forum, I also instituted a carbohydrate cut-off at 5pm, having only protein and fats after 5. Last meal is always 4-6 egg whites. The carbs I do eat tend to be rice, potatoes, fruit, and milk/yogurt. Post workout meals are protein and carb to help with recovery (no fat). That is about the extent of the protein/fat, protein/carb splitting talked about in Sheaffer's forum that I follow.

This has worked for me. Hopefully you might find something useful in my experience. If you haven't read John Sheaffer's forum yet, you will want to do so thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by amazhad View Post
    This has worked for me. Hopefully you might find something useful in my experience. If you haven't read John Sheaffer's forum yet, you will want to do so thoroughly.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I am familiar with John's forum, I've been a Guest lurker for quite some time.

starting strength coach development program
    Keep the heavy, frequent lifting. Eat carbs for breakfast and post workout. In my experience, and that of others doing the same it worked great. adon't go crazy and cut cals and volume. You are new enough to this to make great results without.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast