starting strength gym

Thread: Went a bit insane on saturday night, so I had to do Monday's workout on Tues...

Default Went a bit insane on saturday night, so I had to do Monday's workout on Tues...

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I had too much to drink saturday night, and wound up going to bed about 4am, I didnt sleep well Sunday night because I guess the alcohol was still in my system keeping me awake. I had about 2.5hours sleep I guess...

SO I decided to do mondays workout on tuesday, miss the recovery workout, and do the intensity workout as normal on Friday...

IS that the right way to go about things guys? I know I wouldnt of been able to get half of the shit done that I did on tuesday if i'd of done it monday...

Thanks

I don't know. One of the best workouts I ever had was on a Sunday morning, completely hungover from a late Saturday night. Could barely even walk to the gym without barfing, but somehow set PRs for 3 different lifts.

Unfortunately I can no longer use "Hungover" as an excuse to hit the weights.

If it's a one time thing it's no big deal. I have noticed that if I skip the recovery workout, the friday intensity is not near as good.

From now on drink while working out rather than before, that away you'll not encounter this unfortunate chain of events. As a side note I remember deadlifting 315 once a minute for an hour while doing this..... and hungover already....Rip and others talk about the hangover PR's. They are real.

I'd still go in on Monday and see what happens in that situation. I've gone in with similar levels of sleep deprivation thinking, "I'll be lucky to make three reps on this squat," and next thing you know I finish three sets like they're nothing. Then again I've gone in fully rested and something just doesn't click. Unless you were getting very little sleep the previous week I'd still go in as planned.

A lot of the time I think it's all mental. If you're tired you just got to want it more.

if it were up to me, i would stop lifting become a professional alcoholic, drink every day/night, pillage and rape but my wife says i have to be a productive member of society. WTF does she know!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpd View Post
    if it were up to me, i would stop lifting become a professional alcoholic, drink every day/night, pillage and rape but my wife says i have to be a productive member of society. WTF does she know!
    +1