starting strength gym

Thread: Original SS or 2nd Edition

Default Original SS or 2nd Edition

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    For the last month or so, I've been doing the Novice program, A: Squats, Bench, Chins, B: Squats, Press, Deadlift. I finished starting strength 2nd edition, and on page 289 this program is outlined:
    A
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Deadlift

B
    Squat
    Press
    Power Clean

And on page 300, it's pretty much the same thing, except back extensions were added, and instead you alternate deadlift with power cleans. I was wondering if there's really much of a difference between the two, besides not deadlifting or doing power cleans as much. I wanted to switch to one of these next week.

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

Are you switching to avoid doing chins, or are you planning on adding them as accessory work?

Depends on how experienced you are. And whether you want to do power cleans right now. I'd say if you can and want to do them then you could get away with adding chins for accessory work. Most people tend to do so after a while. If you're super new I would stick with what you're currently doing unless you have someone to monitor any power movements. You can do them alone easily but it may be wise to strengthen your body for a bit before attempting anything dynamic or where control could be an issue. I like the layout of both options and I respect strict chins/pullups more than a lot of other things people do. In the end, it depends on what you want to get out of your work.

I was planning on keeping chins as accessory work, although I do a few sets every day anyway.

Then do power cleans. No need to leave them out for an exercise you already have in your daily routine. Lifts from the hang, power versions, etc are all awesome. They help make MEN out of men.