starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting conditioning

Default Starting conditioning

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been wanting to add a sprints to my workouts for conditioning, so, not having run for years, I figured that it'd behove me to get the mechanics right, first and move from there.

So as not to interfere with my gainz (if thye come some day) I thought that jogging at 115-120 bpm (that being 65-70% of the theoretical max for my age) for 20-30 minutes would be a good idea.

Turns out that just jogging a couple of minutes shoot my heart rate to 160+. I ended up jogging for 50-60 yards and then walking for a total of maybe 8' jogging and walking 17'.

Frankly, I was expecting more after 7 months of SS but it is what it is.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by oldbgn View Post
    I've been wanting to add a sprints to my workouts for conditioning, so, not having run for years, I figured that it'd behove me to get the mechanics right, first and move from there.

So as not to interfere with my gainz (if thye come some day) I thought that jogging at 115-120 bpm (that being 65-70% of the theoretical max for my age) for 20-30 minutes would be a good idea.

Turns out that just jogging a couple of minutes shoot my heart rate to 160+. I ended up jogging for 50-60 yards and then walking for a total of maybe 8' jogging and walking 17'.

Frankly, I was expecting more after 7 months of SS but it is what it is.

Any ideas/suggestions?
    I suggest that you're not familiar with what "jogging" is. No offense. If your heart rate "shot to 160+," you weren't jogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I suggest that you're not familiar with what "jogging" is. No offense. If your heart rate "shot to 160+," you weren't jogging.
    I swear I couldn't have gone at a slower pace.

Ideas to improve how long you can run/jog?
    Use the same idea as SS weight training - progression. Run/jog a little longer, walk less each time. Eventually you'll run the entire 20 - 30 mins.

Maybe you need to see a cardiologist. How old are you?

Pardon me if I join this thread and appear to be an arrogant jerk. This is simply because I am an arrogant jerk.

They all say that. My young friend Andy tried the Couch to 5K program. Run a minute walk a minute ten times. Wrecked himself.

When you set off running, you are fresh and unfatigued, you will be going faster then you can sustain.

I shall say this:

Your running speed is dictated by your stride length.

To run, slower shorten your stride. You will feel like an idiot and will look as though you are running with your shoelaces tied together. This is how it needs to be until you have completed at least six weeks of three times a week easy pace running and can go for thirty minutes without stopping. SLOW

When you can do this, you can consider increasing your pace. GRADUALLY

Like I say, this may sound arrogant, but bear with me.

I also frequent the threads on the Runners' World forums. Ninety nine percent of new runners do exactly what you have done. When you see a 5K fun run, you can spot the beginners because they are out in front for the first minute.

On Runners' World Forums you also find people seeking advice on cross training. Stuff like this:

Q: "I have heard that weigh lifting is a good way to supplement running, can anyone give me any advice on this ?"

A: "Sure, just squat press and deadlift, get the heaviest weights you can handle, put the bar on your shoulders and go up and down lots of times, then push the bar up over your head as much as you can, then pick it up off the floor and put it down again until you can't stand up. It's really simple".

I'm not exaggerating much. Runners on an internet forum dedicated to running will happily give advice on weight training. It's a shame there isn't a forum on a website dedicated to barbell training staffed by some of the best minds in the weight training world where they could be directed and maybe ask a weight lifting coach for advice or see explanatory videos and get a nice book with loads of good information in it.

In running, distance is volume, speed is intensity.Think about a novice weightlifter with no program and no coach, we've seen them at the gym, some of us have been that guy.

So, no you were not jogging. My pulse has only got to 168 when doing a 1.5 mile run fitness test on a treadmill in a hot gym and then only in the last couple of minutes. That would have given me a 22 minute 5K, not earth shattering, but not bad for fifty.

As to jogging, this will be a slightly slower pace than your fastest walk. Seriously, try it on a treadmill, walk fast, faster, faster, jog, wind back the belt speed, shorten stride. You should be going at about a 90 cadence, if not, get a metronome and work on it.

If you intended to jog for twenty minutes first time out, I would suggest that this was not a good idea. At best you would get fatigued, shin splints and calf strain will follow close behind.

As I said, I would not seek power lifting advice on a running forum. I would suggest that a quick look at the likes of Runners' World might be in order. Get a program, read the advice and get a copy of Daniels' Running Formula. Save yourself from the mistakes of the novice runner as you have saved yourself from the horror that is the self taught power lifter.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Pardon me if I join this thread and appear to be an arrogant jerk. This is simply because I am an arrogant jerk.

They all say that. My young friend Andy tried the Couch to 5K program. Run a minute walk a minute ten times. Wrecked himself.

When you set off running, you are fresh and unfatigued, you will be going faster then you can sustain.

I shall say this:

Your running speed is dictated by your stride length.

To run, slower shorten your stride. You will feel like an idiot and will look as though you are running with your shoelaces tied together. This is how it needs to be until you have completed at least six weeks of three times a week easy pace running and can go for thirty minutes without stopping. SLOW

When you can do this, you can consider increasing your pace. GRADUALLY

Like I say, this may sound arrogant, but bear with me.

I also frequent the threads on the Runners' World forums. Ninety nine percent of new runners do exactly what you have done. When you see a 5K fun run, you can spot the beginners because they are out in front for the first minute.

On Runners' World Forums you also find people seeking advice on cross training. Stuff like this:

Q: "I have heard that weigh lifting is a good way to supplement running, can anyone give me any advice on this ?"

A: "Sure, just squat press and deadlift, get the heaviest weights you can handle, put the bar on your shoulders and go up and down lots of times, then push the bar up over your head as much as you can, then pick it up off the floor and put it down again until you can't stand up. It's really simple".

I'm not exaggerating much. Runners on an internet forum dedicated to running will happily give advice on weight training. It's a shame there isn't a forum on a website dedicated to barbell training staffed by some of the best minds in the weight training world where they could be directed and maybe ask a weight lifting coach for advice or see explanatory videos and get a nice book with loads of good information in it.

In running, distance is volume, speed is intensity.Think about a novice weightlifter with no program and no coach, we've seen them at the gym, some of us have been that guy.

So, no you were not jogging. My pulse has only got to 168 when doing a 1.5 mile run fitness test on a treadmill in a hot gym and then only in the last couple of minutes. That would have given me a 22 minute 5K, not earth shattering, but not bad for fifty.

As to jogging, this will be a slightly slower pace than your fastest walk. Seriously, try it on a treadmill, walk fast, faster, faster, jog, wind back the belt speed, shorten stride. You should be going at about a 90 cadence, if not, get a metronome and work on it.

If you intended to jog for twenty minutes first time out, I would suggest that this was not a good idea. At best you would get fatigued, shin splints and calf strain will follow close behind.

As I said, I would not seek power lifting advice on a running forum. I would suggest that a quick look at the likes of Runners' World might be in order. Get a program, read the advice and get a copy of Daniels' Running Formula. Save yourself from the mistakes of the novice runner as you have saved yourself from the horror that is the self taught power lifter.
    Damn straight . . .good on you Chris.

That worries me, and I think you should consider carson's advice to think about seeing a cardiologist if this is indeed the case. Chris is right that this isn't a running forum, and I certainly wouldn't give advice to someone wishing to be a competitive runner (aside from the advice to seek out competent advice). But you're talking about conditioning around barbell training, so I feel that we do actually have some right to an opinion around here.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Maybe you need to see a cardiologist. How old are you?
    I'll be 47 in a month. If my heart doesn't stop working, that is . Yesterday, I squatted 3 light sets of 5 and 2 back off ones of 8 and I was at 130s bpm. Rest of workout 110 dropping to 100 in rest periods. At rest, completely relaxes my bpm is in the 60s, 80s if I'm at work Had an ECG last year and it was ok.

I think it's just that I'm really out of shape when it comes to anaerobic endurance.

starting strength coach development program
    Carson and Chrisd good advice generally. However heart rates vary from person to person. I can easily get to 160bpm when I am running, usually when I am out of shape. The heart rate alone is not reason to worry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast