starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Again

Default Starting Again

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Guys, 30 years old, 193cm currently 93.5kg. Best weights repped for five was 105kg squat, 135kg on dead and 77.5kg bench. So, weak.

I have played around with Starting Strength for a while but missed workouts were a problem. In the past the smallest plates I had were 1.25kg and I think that may have meant some lifts progressed too fast by the book.

I have recently come off a five week break due to illness, a work relocation and all the bullshit that comes with an interstate move. I am keen to jump back in, right my wrongs and get serious. I had a great start to the year, drank my milk, lifted well and got my weight and my work weights up. I know the program works if I commit.

The problem I have is that I don't know where to start. I am thinking empty bar, progressing 5kg a workout on dead, 2.5kg on squat and use half kilo plates on the other lifts. I know it will be slow but at least I can say I did it right and hopefully won't stall prematurely as I feel I have done in the past.

Other people I have spoken to have said not to waste time, take 60% and work up from there.

What do the fine minds of the SS forum think? Apologies for the long winded post but I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

Cheers.

Yes, start this again and this time rock it properly.

I've done the same thing (ups and downs) for various reasons. You're wasting time and spinning your wheels.

1. Nail the technique down early. Take advantage of the lights weights.
    2. Get those micro plates for when you need them.
    3. Get to work.

As far as picking a starting weight, treat it like a coach would. Start with the empty bar and gradually work up. It may be harder to do from a lifter's perspective (coaches see bar speed, lifters feel it) but it's the same principle. But refer to #1. This fresh start (big reset) is not a chance to get greedy and/or sloppy. Video your form and post it here if you choose. You only get to go up if your technique is solid.

+1

Marathon, sprint, etc.

Good luck.

Time is definitely on my side. Goals are 150kg squat, 100kg bench, 175kg dead but I want to be better at 35 than at 30 and the same again at 40. Those are long term goals, short term is to just not miss workouts.

When you say treat it as coach would (I will need to read the book again) that is add weight until the bar speed slows and that becomes the first up workout weight right?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Starting Over; 08-02-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Yes. Just feel like you're working a little bit. Don't approach a weight that will challenge your form weaknesses, cause a technique breakdown, or result in excessive soreness the next day. Remember that there is a discrepancy now in how much weight your muscles can move versus what your CNS is used to doing. You're certainly detrained a bit right now. So ease into it and make this a fresh start.

Don't start with the empty bar. Jiminy Christmas. Warm up with sets of five and add weight until it seems like you're trying kind of hard, that's where you start. It's okay to start a little low. You can probably get away with 5kg increases on the squat and 5kg on the press/bench for a week or two before cranking it down. If you know you're starting a little low, you can ramp up a little more. But don't get greedy.

But, no matter what, don't start from the friggin' empty bar and go up 2.5kg at a time. I will disown you. I will find out where you work and write a letter to your boss saying you lack any ambition and integrity.

You had an "interstate move" and yet you're 193cm?

Uh huh. Nice try, Comrade!

(if there was a "mate" or "bloke" in there... maybe they could be Australian states...)

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah. I'm from Australia.

To make up for the first post: bonza, crikey, shrimp on the barbie (we call them prawns), fosters (no one drinks fosters) cor blimey, what's that skip etc.