starting strength gym

Thread: Are there official studies of sports science in the US?

Default Are there official studies of sports science in the US?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Everbody!
    Previously I wrote a post asking about the premises to become a starting strenth coaching. Then I asked the question about whether that accreditation would allow me to practice in Europe, as it is the case that affects me. I thank the people who have kindly offered to answer me.
    As a result of all this interaction, I have been curious to know if there are university studies of Sports Science in the USA. If true, then is it an essential requirement to be a coach of any sport, physical trainer or in this case, a Staring Strength coaching?

Thanks in advance and greetings

Highly recommend trawling through these forums and articles for a while to get acquainted with the stance that is generally held toward the majority of sports science, exercise physiology, and similar disciplines, as well as related studies, on this site. I haven't read many studies myself but it seems to be a mostly-agreed-upon consensus here that these disciplines and studies lack rigorousness and are ultimately not very useful.

If true, then is it an essential requirement to be a coach of any sport, physical trainer or in this case, a Staring Strength coaching?
    What do you mean by an "essential requirement"? Essential requirement in order to do what?

The Starting Strength coaches and staff on this website put a huge amount of time into providing free, high-quality material for anyone who wants to learn. The best way we can help them out in their work is to be well-informed before we ask questions, because almost anything we will ask has probably been discussed multiple times. It's probably best if you run through the site for a bit before asking about stuff that has been covered already.

Hello!
    I may have expressed myself wrong when asking this question. Actually I came as a result in another entry that has already closed. Of course, I also agree that the studies approved in sports sciences are overvalued in terms of the quality of the subjects taught. I all owe all my knowledge to the information I find in books of prestigious authors and in strength training I have Mark Rippetoe as my greatest reference.
    When I ask whether to practice as a coach or other profession related to sport, it is necessary to have previously done a university career focused on sports, I really mean if it is necessary to have an "approved title" to be "legally" trained.
    Here in Europe, for example to exercise gym monitor you must have before a sports title that you get through the faculty. Does the same thing happen in the USA?
    Personally I consider the book "Starting Strength" as my bible regarding strength training. And I see all the YouTube videos, I listen to the poscasts and I read the articles that you publish to learn and improve even more in my training. My dream is to become one day a Starting Strength coach. I thank all the team for the value you are giving me.

I'm not sure I understand your question fully, but if I do, then I think this is the answer:

* Anyone, without prior qualification or license, can start a business doing "personal training" or "fitness instruction" or whatnot. If you work for yourself, there's really no barrier to entry to the field.
    * Almost every gym I've ever heard of requires some sort of certification to be considered for hiring: some will hire you on personality/looks with the provision you get a certification within a short period of time. Others have in-house programs that they deem sufficient. Others require a combination of the two. But almost all gyms do want you to get certified as a trainer to work there long term.

Different gyms have different cert preferences, but the NSCA, NASM, and ACSM are probably the most popular and commonly accepted, along with a few others.

Some gyms, and lots of collegiate and pro strength and conditioning programs, want you to have a NSCA-CSCS to be considered. Starting Strength Gyms, for example, want you to have the SSC. Crossfit gyms require you to have a CF-L1. And so on.

But, so far, all of this is voluntary. There is no legal requirement, yet, and we are trying to keep it that way.

Relevant: Explorations in Lifting & Liberty: A Free Market Look at the Fitness Industry
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-28-2018 at 12:51 PM.