starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check 110 lbs, persistent lower back pain

Default Squat Check 110 lbs, persistent lower back pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey guys,

thank you in advance for taking a look and commenting!

A note on the video: My gym doesn't allow filming within the premises so I can basically only film right off the platform, but I hope you can take a good look anyway.

My current stats:
    Weight: 175
    Height: 6'3"

Working Weight: 110 lbs, had to deload from 130 lbs because of 4 week break caused by a persistent elbow injury (not caused in the gym)

I have been trying for months to get a hang of the LBBS and keep tweaking my lower back on the left side at 130ish. I have the book and the DVD but after all those times trying to Squat "right" one tends to get confused why something so basic can be so hard to do correctly.

I also have a non-training related history with a herniated disc (L4/L5) from 4 years ago which doesn't give me any trouble outside of the gym. Checking my own video my form doesn't look terrible to me and I suspect that I'm unconsciously hyperextending my lumbar region because of experience with the herniated disc.

The belt is because of prior lower back injury and helping to brace abs to prevent hyperextension.

Sadly there are usually no coaches where I'm at (Japan) and the one that appeared miraculously on the coaching directory last month didn't respond to my E-Mail.

Here is the video:
    http://youtu.be/U2tZX0Wlfkg

And thank you again!

dihkj

You might be better served by posting in the SS coaches forum. But just a few comments to help you along won't hurt. I hope.

You are 175 lb at 6'3" - that's light for your height. Unless you are a naturally strong freak, you need to gain weight in order to lift heavy, one way or another. Also, being so light at your height is probably not helping your back.

If I'm not mistaken, judging from your head position you're looking in the mirror while squatting. This is not good. Look down. DOWN. Down, as in on the ground, maybe two or three feet in front of you. DO NOT LOOK IN THE MIRROR.

Also, your knees are all over the place. Shove them out. Really shove them out. And keep them shoved out. You may need to widen your stance a little bit and see if that helps keeping the knees out.

A related question to your back: are you deadlifting?

Second Miro's advice re: coach's forum. Your video is nice and clear, I think you're correct that you are hyperextending.

My guess is the coaches will tell you to brace your abs harder and to look down.

Thank you for the speedy reply!

This is actually me looking down, might be because of the angle of the camera or not looking down enough but I'm not starting at the mirror to check my farm during the set.
    I actually brought my stance in because I felt I had a harder time keeping the knees out with a wider stance and this me making an effort to shove them out.

I am sumo deadlifting (deload to 132lb because of elbow injury) because I have a horrible time getting in the right conventional starting position for the past 3 months. Sumo lets me keep a neutral spine way better.
    Gave up on conventional after trying for months with the book, dvd and 4 step set up but my back angle is just too horizontal.
    I wouldve posted a video deadlifting as well but I can't take a movie doing it because of the gym rules. (I would need to put the camera way off the platform which would it make blatantly obvious that I was filming)

Thanks again!

If your sacrum and hips are out of alignment it can cause lower back pain. I have issues with this, and as soon as I start squatting (warm ups) I can tell when it's out. I can self adjust, but a single trip to the chiropractor may tell you if there is an issue.

Hard to say for sure, but I'd wager that cwd is on par that your spine is in over extension. I'm judging this by the position of your butt. Knees out more, as per Miro's advice. Depth is hard to gauge from the camera's low vantage point.

Nothing wrong with asking the SS Coaches for another look. Might assist you to read the sticky about videos and give the coaches (and/or us) a more ideal angle to work with: 45* from the rear at about hip height. It's the best we can do shy of you using the SSC directory and getting some live coaching.
    Last edited by BareSteel; 10-06-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added

I actually had an appointment scheduled with a chiropractic for today anyways.

Will also take another video once my back feels fine again with more focus on looking down and wider stance.

Maybe the coach in my area will reply but I'm not really hopeful.

Thanks guys for the constructive input, I will let you know once things have been sorted out.

dihkj

Ok, I know this is all a week old, but why are you using a belt?

And someone once told me to pretend a bar was balanced on my butt on the way up. That kept my form in line really well.
    Your lower back looks like its arching and giving you an anterior pelvic tilt. Activating abs is good advice. Comments on knees are good too.

Alex

I can't say for sure, but it looks like you're hyperextending your back. If you are that's a likely candidate for your back pain.

EDIT: Didn't notice cwd beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Second Miro's advice re: coach's forum. Your video is nice and clear, I think you're correct that you are hyperextending.
    Last edited by amsgator; 10-14-2014 at 01:24 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Update for you guys:

chiropractic says main factors for reoccurring back pain are slight pelvic obliquity and weak abdominal muscles as well as a tendency to keep my spine in over-extension, most likely due to the experience with a herniated disc.

so basically nothing that can't be fixed.

I also found a SSC who will start working with me starting from January to get my form fixed.

Thanks for all the input and I'll be sure to post a video with fixed form as well.