starting strength gym

Thread: Substituting back extensions with goodmornings

Default Substituting back extensions with goodmornings

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,

In another thread you said it was okay to do goodmornings instead of back extensions if your gym doesn't have the necessary equipment. Should goodmornings be programmed the same way as back extensions, i.e. a 3x8 or 3x10 sort of thing? Also, if deadlifts are being done once a week, can goodmornings be done twice a week (for a novice) during the other two workouts, or would this be too stressful?

I have never suggested that GMs were a sub for anything for novices, since there is a huge potential for them to fuck up the squat movement pattern for someone lacking lifting experience. If you are beyond this stage, go ahead and try them as you suggest.

Goodmornings really do produce alot more stress on the body than back extensions. Although they basically train the same muscle groups, I don't think they could really be subbed for a back extension, at least not within the context of the SS Program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have never suggested that GMs were a sub for anything for novices, since there is a huge potential for them to fuck up the squat movement pattern for someone lacking lifting experience. If you are beyond this stage, go ahead and try them as you suggest.
    I'm not beyond this stage. With this in mind, what would you recommend as a substitution for back extensions?

Just don't do them.

Rip, I know the stress from straight backed good mornings would be dependent on the strength of the lifter and the moment arm from bar to hip. However, would the emphasis of muscles stressed vary with anthropometry? For example, if the moment from hip to bar was longer in a person with a longer torso, would this stress the lumbars more? Or would it place a similar stress (relatively speaking), but just make lighter weights feel heavier for that individual?

starting strength coach development program
    It would increase the stress, and the difficulty of maintaining a flat back.