starting strength gym

Thread: Oly cert

Default Oly cert

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip:

This may come as an odd question, but:

I was wondering your opinion on the CF Oly Cert as taught by Mike Burgener. As a masters lifter, interested in improving oly lifts here with an eye towards possible competition, do you think this would be a worthwhile investment (note, I can afford it)? The seminar in question is in October, so I anticipate being well into a modified TM-style routine by then.

Understand if you don't want to post this, but would appreciate your opinion (b/c I think it will be relatively unbiased in this instance).

Thank you.

Greg

Mike's seminar is a good one, and a good use of the time and money. I dislike the idea of teaching weightlifting movements, or anything else for that matter, on PVC, since it is impossible to get a feel for the pull against a weightless object. The limitations of teaching a large group make this necessary, however, so you know this going in. Mike and I have differences in the way we teach the movements, but he is one of the best coaches in the country, and CF is extremely fortunate to have him on their side. His staff is very good, and this material has been taught so many times now that they have it down pat. I can't say enough about the respect I have for Mike. He's a great guy, a very intuitive and powerful coach, and and you'd do well to associate with him whenever possible.

In short, go.

I'd like to second Rip's sentiments- Coach Bergener is absolutely first class in every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Rip:

This may come as an odd question, but:

I was wondering your opinion on the CF Oly Cert as taught by Mike Burgener. As a masters lifter, interested in improving oly lifts here with an eye towards possible competition, do you think this would be a worthwhile investment (note, I can afford it)? The seminar in question is in October, so I anticipate being well into a modified TM-style routine by then.

Understand if you don't want to post this, but would appreciate your opinion (b/c I think it will be relatively unbiased in this instance).

Thank you.

Greg

I am a novice lifter, especially in the Oly dicipline, and I would highly recommend Bergeners cert. He is effective teaching a crowd how to snatch and clean+jerk. The crew he brings with him are all top notch. I am not a trainer, I just went to improve my Oly lifts......it worked.

Greg,
    I don't know if you know this or not, but if you look at the description of the the course it says it will be taught by "coach Burgener OR one of his tier one coaches". They are running multiple "Certs" on some weekends so coach B is not at everyone. I am not trying to dissuade you from going, I really enjoyed it when I went through about 2 years ago (I was lucky enough to have Casey, Sage, and Natalie as coaches) and would recomend it to anyone interested in Oly lifts. I just want you to know what you are buying.

Stu

Thanks all.

I had noted that in the cert and posted a question to HQ - got a prompt response that it will be Sage for certain, and Mike B is tentative. Pretty good draw imo.

While you're at it, go to Kelly Starrett's mobility and rehab cert too. He does a helluva job of making complex biomechanics accessible and useful to lifters. Lots of stuff you can use to be a better trainer and lifter.

starting strength coach development program
    If you go, and I would also highly recommend, take advantage of the "lunch time lifting" Coach B stays in and personally coaches lifters, with weight, who forego running out for samidges...