starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat way lower than deadlift

Default Squat way lower than deadlift

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

I "did the program" and gained 30 lbs and a considerable amount on my lifts. My press is 135x3x5, Bench 185x3x5, Power Clean 175x5x3, Deadlift 315x1x5. However, my squat is only 210x3x5 and that weight was very hard and not too pretty.

Why is there such a huge difference in my squatting ability to my deadlift? I admit I had some major issues getting the movement down properly but even still, squatting is a major issue for me. I have never been able to go past this weight no matter how many times I reset. I posted a video a while back and you said my squats looked alright.

I am 6'4 and 205 lbs. I know I need to gain body weight, but I don't think that squat is appropriate for my weight. I do have very long femurs (I know everybody says this.. but i'm rather tall and sitting down I am eye to eye with most shorter people.)

Any ideas?

Maybe you're squatting wrong? Perhaps?

My numbers are about the same, deadlift is 330 and squat 200.

If you look at the illustration in SS you fall in line with the norm I think.

I've always been stronger pulling than pushing.

Everybody is until they've been doing it a while. But this is a large enough discrepancy that there might be a problem with the squat form.

I looked at one of your squat videos. Have you fixed your head position? Could you post a recent squat vid at 200 lbs?

If your wingspan is > 6'8 then that discrepancy makes perfect sense because that would mean that you are long limbed and short torso'd which makes for a poor squatter and a good deadlifter. For what its worth my two lifts have never been closer than they are now and they're still 140 pounds apart, some people are just built to deadlift, you may be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by NolanPower View Post
    If your wingspan is > 6'8 then that discrepancy makes perfect sense because that would mean that you are long limbed and short torso'd which makes for a poor squatter and a good deadlifter. For what its worth my two lifts have never been closer than they are now and they're still 140 pounds apart, some people are just built to deadlift, you may be one of them.
    This is what I imagine. I do have super long arms and like I said, a short torso.

I'm going to post a video of me squatting 205 next time i get around to it. I have fixed the head position, yes.

A bit wary right now of doing linear progression because it's beach season and the Marine Corps makes me do all sorts of retarded "physical training" that wears me the fuck out.

At 6'4 and 205lbs (more weight!) I very highly doubt that your low squat numbers are due to anthropometric circumstances. This will be caused by an error in form or a pre-existing injury. Any chance you can film us a video?

Unless you consider skinny to be anthropometry. Then it certainly is.

starting strength coach development program
    I guess you could be pretty damn skinny at 205 and 6'4..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast