starting strength gym

Thread: Thinking of splurging on bumper plates ... Iron Edge vs Rogue Australia?

Default Thinking of splurging on bumper plates ... Iron Edge vs Rogue Australia?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I'm looking at spending way too much money on ~200kg of pretty colourful bumper plates and can't decide between the Rogue Color KG Training 2.0 Plates and the Iron Edge Premium Bumper Plates

My reasons?

* Easier to load/unload the bar
    * My current plates are a mongrel mix of loose fitting kilos and pounds - would be nice to get everything in KG
    * I only have one pair of full diameter 45 lbs, and a bunch of smaller 20kgs - I'd imagine deads will feel better with all the plates level on the ground.
    * I like the idea of having some 20kg plates that don't weigh 19-21kg
    * Would be nice to be just that little bit quieter (assuming they are?) so I don't annoy the neighbours (I don't plan on dropping my deadlifts!)
    * I suppose I might like to yet again try to get my power cleans over 25% of my DL PB someday
    * They just look too damn cool

Comparison:

Both:

Plate Diameter: 450mm
    Collar Opening: 50.4mm

Rogue:

Insert Type: Steel Disc, Zinc Plated
    Shore A Durometer: 86
    Tolerance: +/- 15 grams of claimed weight

Iron Edge:

Steel Disc insert, Chrome Plated
    Shore A Durometer: 95
    Tolerances (0.1%)

There's really not that much to split them. Price are somewhat similar, with Iron Edge looking just that little bit cheaper. Tolerances are pretty much the same. Does Zinc vs Chrome plated matter? Will I notice and/or care about the 86 vs 95 bounce difference?

Zinc v chrome: as long as the chrome is a good coat, it's really not going to matter.

Durometer: On competition style plates, the difference will be very small since a large portion of the mass is the metal hub. Economy plates are a different story.

Flip a coin. You'll be fine either way.

My gym has a few of the Iron Edge bumpers. They've help up pretty well, even with all the stupid shit idiots in gyms do to them. I imagine if you take care of them they'll last forever

My gym has a couple of sets of older Iron Edge bumpers. They seem to hold up alright if you treat them nice.