starting strength gym

Thread: Diastasis recti

Default Diastasis recti

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    TL;DR: Does it stand to reason that a belt will help prevent it from growing? I don't currently wear one while deadlifting or with squat warm ups.

Searching brings up two prior posts on the subject. My case differs in that I'm not a female and I've never been pregnant.

This has developed recently. I would have noticed it last time I did abz (probably 3-4 mos ago). Alarmed at first and thought it was a hernia.

Research so far indicates I could write what is known about it on the palm of my hand - in largish letters.

Summary: Occurs mostly in pregnant women (up to 2/3). "Possibly" occurs in men due to lifting heavy, using poor form, belly fat, quick weight gain, or "other" causes.

There doesn't seem to be a fix for it other than surgery. There are claims it resolves with certain exercises but as Dr. T stated in one of the prior posts it is simply stretched connective tissue and will not respond to exercise. I lean this way, especially after finding Mrs. Tupler of the Tupler Technique sells a creme as "nourishment" for the underlying connective tissue.

The only two that would apply to me is lifting heavy and gaining weight. Don't think weight is a big factor (5'10" 200lbs). Lost 15lbs before lifting. Gained little over 15lbs in 7 mos.

So, my theory is that I was susceptible to this condition (being a delicate snowflake and all) and squats and deads have given birth to the bulge. Now what?

Give up lifting? Join the bros at the dumbbell rack? Keep squatting and see what happens? Leaning toward the latter obviously.

See question above. Any insight is appreciated.

Are you sure you have diastasis recti, as in you've been diagnosed by a physician?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Are you sure you have diastasis recti, as in you've been diagnosed by a physician?
    I consulted Dr. Google to confirm the diagnosis. I've seen them a number of times in older patients. I'd always assumed they were hernias. When I noticed mine pop up I started researching hernias.

Looks a bit like this

Tomz Edit - Oh, god, no. Picture removed

Not really.

Looks just like this (image from a surgeon's website)

When I do a crunch the ridge pops up just above my umbilicus up toward the sternum. Very soft and squishy. Can push my finger into it and feel the ab separation.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 05-18-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Tom C is absolutely right. Diagnosis always comes before treatment/ recommendations. Reversing this order invites the Devil.