starting strength gym

Thread: Squats without dead lifts?

Default Squats without dead lifts?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been squatting everyday. I'm getting great results. My squat is going up faster than it did years ago when I did Texas Method (Which is saying a lot). However, my deadlift isn't going as good. I was thinking of replacing it with kettlebell swings and snatches. I'm not enjoying the deadlift like i use to honestly and I love working out.

Now I know that the kettlebell stuff is very unpopular around these parts so I'll just focus on the barbells. What am I missing out on if I squat without deadlifting. I know that the book says deads build the back better. However, what's the difference between squatting and deadlifting exactly. What muscles are being neglected? The back-squat hit's the back to my knowledge. Especially for me because I end up leaning over pretty far with my long legs and low bar position.

I'm sure that dead-lifting belongs in starting strength and it's an amazing exercise. (use to be my favorite). I'm just wondering what I would be missing?
    Last edited by NY WC; 05-20-2016 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NY WC View Post

However, what's the difference between squatting and deadlifting exactly. What muscles are being neglected? The back-squat hit's the back to my knowledge. Especially for me because I end up leaning over pretty far with my long legs and low bar position.

I'm sure that dead-lifting belongs in starting strength and it's an amazing exercise. (use to be my favorite). I'm just wondering what I would be missing?
    - Being weak at it is really not a (legitimate) reason to quit it.
    - The difference between squat and deadlift is that they are squat and deadlift.
    - The book revolves around training for strength and asking in term of muscle being used is, the way I see it, missing the point.
    - You would be missing on a great lift that builds strength, which is fine if you decide that it would be worth not doing. It's one of the most useful lifts, but you won't die and your back won't fail you (hopefully) miserably. You life you choice man.

You'd be missing possibly the greatest lift ever. The satisfaction alone is awesome... and it's by far my worst lift. I can squat a lot more than I can pull at the moment... deadlift is still awesomer. That's totally a word.

Quote Originally Posted by dhalli View Post
    You'd be missing possibly the greatest lift ever. The satisfaction alone is awesome... and it's by far my worst lift. I can squat a lot more than I can pull at the moment... deadlift is still awesomer. That's totally a word.
    Yea, I know lol...The satisfaction of locking out a heavy pull is great. The deadlift is my best lift by far even after all the squat gains I'm making. I've been advised to pull at around 50% every once in a while to keep my technique solid. Then the squat strength carries over. Not starting strength style but I like it.

To give you a bit more of an idea of what you might miss in terms of training effect, the deadlift compared to the squat has three major components: A dead start from the floor, a posterior chain-dominant motion, and more weight.

It lacks the sheer range of motion the squat has, but by loading up even more weight, it allows for some effects built from the mere fact of holding said weight. And although a heavy squat needs a strong back, the act of holding rigid pulling against an object dead on the floor requires both great strength and diligence in the back that is unbeatable. Finally, the position of the bar means you are going to be forced to use most of your posterior chain, even more than the SS-style squat likely will. The hamstrings in particular are really only in a position to maintain isometric contraction for much of the squat, whereas in the deadlift they can be a major agonist.

Can you roll without deadlifts? Quite possibly, and certainly the fact that many people have gone with the raw strength built from heavy squats, back building exercises, and maybe lower weight technical pull repetitions, suggests the deadlift is fairly trainable without deadlifting. It is just more trainable actually doing it.

That said... you are squatting everyday. You probably cannot afford any more recovery on the other super-lift. Just finish your squats and if and when you stop the everyday routine, get some deadlifting done and see if you can translate the squat improvements into your pull. If you can, maybe throw in some kind of inherently lighter pulls. RDLS, perhaps? Maybe see if snatch gripping makes it fit better?

EDIT: Heck, see if a non-exaggerated sumo-stance can help alleviate the most taxing parts of deadlifting. It doesn't build what deadlifting conventional builds as well, but at least it may be a heavy pull.
    Last edited by Daverin; 05-21-2016 at 08:11 PM.