starting strength gym

Thread: How Strong Can One Get Training Only One Lift?

Default How Strong Can One Get Training Only One Lift?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Rip,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l84vmuuuHRg

This is a video of a small man benching an incredible amount raw (410 at 154 lb) with no spotter helping (besides lifting off) and no super wide grip. The actual max bench starts at around 4 min. The rest is reps with submaximal weight (in the 300s). His legs are about the size of his arms. I don't see videos of him squatting or deadlifting. His superhuman benching strength leads me to ask a few questions.

1. If he squatted and deadlifted, how much lower do you think his bench would be? I know you don't like specific hypotheticals like this, but I think in this case, it merits some consideration.

2. What happens physiologically only training one lift to the trained musculature? I know it's an odd question but phrased another way, does the law of diminishing returns happen at a higher point in the absence of squatting and deadlifting and why would this be so?

3. How does training specificity play into all of this? It's been repeated on here quite a lot that squatting helps deadlifting and vice versa or that the bench press helps the press. But suppose someone only deadlifts. Could deadlifts above 800 be more easily attained this way rather than by squatting and deadlifting?

This video reminded me of the discussion about Mike Mcdonald on here a while back. It's interesting when someone pushes the envelope in a unique way.

I don't know, I have no experience with this, and I have no interest in the question.

funny, six months ago he missed 410 (YT channel) . . .so six month to add 5# . . . that's the downside to being this far along.

also, is it just me, or are his elbows way way out??? (more than they should be)

I remember seeing this guy when his max was in the 360's. He said it had taken him around 19 years of benching, and that he didn't train the other lifts as he thought they "stole" from the bench recovery. So, there's the price. 20 years of bench only.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilan View Post
    he didn't train the other lifts as he thought they "stole" from the bench recovery.
    That's true to an extent. I'm not squatting right now (don't ask), and I'm doing a lot more bench volume without getting as beat down. It's not magic though, I'm still feeling some aches (elbows, mostly) from it. You can only recover so much, even if you ignore the other lifts entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    After 19 years, had he put in the effort to the other lifts, he'd have a 410 bench weighing 185-195 and look like a man.
    I haven't looked into the guy's history, but maybe he just wanted a bench record.

starting strength coach development program
    Between the Clean and Press and Deadlift it is possible that you would never need to do any other lifts. You could get really darn strong with just those two lifts.