starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift grip help

Default Deadlift grip help

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm two and half months into my novice progression and have been hitting some problems with my grip on the deadlift. I'm 40, weigh 290lbs (26% body fat), started with a 225# deadlift and have worked up to 355# deadlift (was sick and missed a few sessions along the way). My problem is that I feel the leg/back strength is there for a 10lb/session increment but my grip strength (or my focus on maintaining the grip) is not keeping up. With a DOH grip, the bar rolls out of the thumb fairly quickly and I'm pulling with the fingers. During the setup, I feel that I'm gripping the bar as tightly as possibly but it seems that my mental focus shifts once I start the pull.

- Are there any suggestions / cues for grip focus?
    - If it is a grip strength problem, is the solution a de-load and pause on the 5th rep with a tight grip (and then work back up from there)?

When grip becomes the limited factor, just switch to a hook grip (preferably) or a mixed grip.

Also, do you have access to chalk? If not, get some. If it isn't allowed in your gym get some of this: http://www.roguefitness.com/liquid-grip

You do want to stay with the DOH grip for as long as possible on every training session and continue to train grip - but once that becomes an issue, then switch to hook or mixed.

Not a coach but I'll chime in with what I've been finding helpful in improving my grip.

I found doing bar holds helps. Just deload a bit when you're done with your deadlift workset(s) and do a couple sets of picking the bar up and holding it at lockout for a slow 10 count. I started with 225 and just bumped up to 315. You could probably go right to 275 or 315 if you're already DOHing 355.

Chalk makes a big difference if you aren't yet using it, not just in grip but also in keeping your calluses from getting ripped up.

Just a note about grip strength - There is no doubt that my best grip strength occurred when I was doing strongman, and namely heavy farmers walks. This is a high impact exercise and don't know that I'd recommend it to anyone below deep intermediate level. But when you can do farmers holds for time with 400lbs per hand (800lbs total), then grip really isn't a limiting factor anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    Just a note about grip strength - There is no doubt that my best grip strength occurred when I was doing strongman, and namely heavy farmers walks. This is a high impact exercise and don't know that I'd recommend it to anyone below deep intermediate level. But when you can do farmers holds for time with 400lbs per hand (800lbs total), then grip really isn't a limiting factor anymore.
    I always thought that among the loaded carries, farmers walks are among the safest things to load as heavy as possible. I am assuming "high impact" implies it being extra risky in some way. You are still just walking, albeit with lots more weight. There is no loading directly onto the spine. May you please clarify what you mean for me? Thanks!

Thanks everyone, I work out at home and use chalk +a B&R bar. I'm still working on my shoulder mobility and mixed grip feels like I'm trying to lift with my back torqued (i.e. doesn't feel safe). Is 355# really where I should start using a hook grip or should I keep working on DOH at this point in my training? Given my size (6', 290lbs, 26% fat) it seems early, most folks seem to transition when they're up in the 400s. Or am I talking out of my ass?

Quote Originally Posted by BigA View Post
    I always thought that among the loaded carries, farmers walks are among the safest things to load as heavy as possible. I am assuming "high impact" implies it being extra risky in some way. You are still just walking, albeit with lots more weight. There is no loading directly onto the spine. May you please clarify what you mean for me? Thanks!
    No, it's high impact because the weight in your hands varies as you walk due to the bouncing nature of walking.

With lighter weights like this, I always tell my trainees "Look, just squeeze the bar really hard then pull." Works about 90% of the time. Once that stops working, you switch to mixed or hook.

And by that I mean: Every time you DL, you'll go as far as you can in the warm-up / work-weight sets using DOH. You only switch when you can no longer maintain the DOH grip.

Also, are you doing chin-ups?
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 12-23-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    Thanks everyone, I work out at home and use chalk +a B&R bar. I'm still working on my shoulder mobility and mixed grip feels like I'm trying to lift with my back torqued (i.e. doesn't feel safe). Is 355# really where I should start using a hook grip or should I keep working on DOH at this point in my training? Given my size (6', 290lbs, 26% fat) it seems early, most folks seem to transition when they're up in the 400s. Or am I talking out of my ass?
    You change your grip when your grip becomes a limiting factor in the deadlift. As long as you continue to pull warmups and any lighter sets you can handle with a DOH grip, your grip will continue to get stronger. If it makes you feel any better, I started pulling with a hook at 275.

starting strength coach development program
    I think a 355 deadlift with a DOH grip for a set of 5 is pretty damn heavy. I would struggle to hold on to that by the end of the set. I have small hands though.

Tangent: A far as farmers being low/hi impact - how could they not be high impact? You could either a) Deadlift 800lbs. Stand up. Put it down. or B) Pick up 400lbs per hand (still 800lbs total) and RUN down the street with it as fast as humanly possible. Surely basic logic and reason would allow anyone to determine even without force plates and EMG studies that this is high impact. And if not, the way my knees and hips felt the next day certainly would let me know.

The only thing worse than farmers that I've ever done for impact is the Yoke. Now you take 800+ lbs and put it on your shoulders, fully loading the spine and then RUN down an asphalt street. Terrible idea. I was an idiot for having done it. lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast