starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have very recently got my wife started on SS. She is 32, small built (~44KG). Third set of 25KG. Some possible issues with her form:
    - inconsistent depth
    - knees not tracking outward enough sometimes
    - not enough hip drive

25KG Third set - YouTube

Thank you.

Did you video her in a funhouse mirror?

I see:
    - A lot of motion in her lumbar spine (moving from extension to overextension) as she tries to maintain an upright torso while trying to drive her hips up. She needs to BEND OVER, and keep her back in isometric extension. This is facilitated by taking a DEEP HUGE BREATH each rep, holding it, and squeezing down on it with the abs. She cannot do this because she is taking no time between reps to exhale, breathe, reset her position, and repeat the process. Reps should be deliberate, not done in a hurry because the weight is very light.

Aside from that, she needs some shoes - balance is not facilitated by standing in squishy-soled shoes with weight on your shoulders.

As far as here depth, she needs to turn her toes out more, and get her knees out harder.

I wish you luck on your impending divorce. Maybe you should take her to see a Starting Strength Coach as a (far, far) less expensive option.

Cheers!

I was drinking tea whilst watching that video, thought there was something funky in my drink.. not cool OP, not cool.

Do these look any better (I don't meant her shoes..)?

I tried to coach her with a lighter weight. It appears to be slightly better although there is still some overextension at the later reps.

The nearest SS coach is 5000km away so can't be immediate...

20KG - YouTube

Thanks again!

starting strength coach development program
    Fairly similar to last time. Needs to be deeper. Knees need to be out harder. The latter may encourage the former. She need to be tighter and fight the tendency to overextend on the way. She may need to think, "Crunch," as in trying to do a slight abdominal crunch on the assent to fight that.