starting strength gym

Thread: Huge sudden loss of strength/stablity on bench press

Default Huge sudden loss of strength/stablity on bench press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Any help would be greatly appreciated with this. About two weeks ago i ran an odd job at work that made me rotate a fixture with just my left arm repeatedly. I had no pain or any sign of even being tired whatsoever. Fast forward two weeks and 160 for sets of 5 us an rpe10. My elbow flares big time and in general I feel highly unstable. So I decided to do some push presses behind the neck to remove the front delts from the equation some, and I worked up to 160x5,after this I grabbed some 50lb dumbells and it's just my left arm. It's almost like my chest isn't working, it's was all shoulder doing Dumbell benching. Has anybody dealt with this, I have no pain at all anywhere, I'm a bit passed to say the least. Thank you so much for reading.

Sounds like you just had a bad set (form-wise). Why did you do push presses instead of attempting sets 2 and 3 after long rest breaks?

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Ericreichelt81 View Post
    Has anybody dealt with this, I have no pain at all anywhere, I'm a bit passed to say the least. Thank you so much for reading.
    A couple of years ago I had to fix a towel hanger into a tiled wall. I had a drill, some inadequate drill bits, and an angled worktop between me and the wall.

Long story short; it took me almost a couple of hours to drill those bloody two holes past the rock-hard tiles, doing short bursts of thirty/forty seconds followed by a short pause, and again. I had to hold the drill in front of me, pushing it hard, while at the same time holding my body at an angle over the worktop.

For about a week after this, my left arm felt very sore; not sore as in "I've got DOMS", sore like "it feels like someone else's arm". I simply could not do some movements, as if someone had cut any connection between bones and muscles.

After about a week it came back, and eventually all the effects of that prolonged use in an awkward pose faded away.
    You might be going through the same process, so unless you see no improvement at all in a week, I would not worry too much about it.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Thanks for the replies. I went to push presses to see if I had the same imbalance overhead, plus it's a movement Im currently doing. I did back down to 120 and worked back up but it wasn't a matter of rest or anything. My arm just had no pressing power off my chest. And like I said, I couldn't keep my elbow tucked even a bit , once I drove up it would just flare out almost immediately.

I think my best bet is to just work light db' until things get sorted out I suppose.