starting strength gym

Thread: Rear Oblique Angles

Default Rear Oblique Angles

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This question is probably best suited for Tom C perhaps, since it involves photography. It seems like every time I shoot a set of squats from the rear 45 they all seem high, and I know that they are not. I've tested this by simultaneously shooting from the side and rear oblique on a few sets and discovered that from the side depth appeared to be right were it needs to be, but from the rear angles one would easily be deceived in thinking that they were high. I like the rear oblique angles for seeing things such as my knees and elbows but am often confused about my depth. Does an angle exist were one can get feedback on what the knees and elbows are doing, and be good for gauging depth as well? Perhaps side oblique, or even a front shot?As always, thanks.

This is generally not the case. If they look high from a rear 45 with the camera set at hip height, they are likely high, barring some kind of lens distortion artifacts. If you set the camera too low to the ground, or too high above the ground, things get very difficult to see clearly. You would need to shoot the same set of squats from the exact same height with the same model of camera to confirm this. I suspect one or more of the following:

You are squatting high
    The lens on your camera is distorting the picture

If you set the camera at different distances from you and/or use a different aspect (landscape vs. portrait), you can definitely get different lens distortions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    This is generally not the case. If they look high from a rear 45 with the camera set at hip height, they are likely high, barring some kind of lens distortion artifacts. If you set the camera too low to the ground, or too high above the ground, things get very difficult to see clearly. You would need to shoot the same set of squats from the exact same height with the same model of camera to confirm this. I suspect one or more of the following:

You are squatting high
    The lens on your camera is distorting the picture

If you set the camera at different distances from you and/or use a different aspect (landscape vs. portrait), you can definitely get different lens distortions.
    I'm probably filming too low then. I usually place the camera on a Coleman beer cooler that's out in my garage. It may be 15 inches off the ground at best.makes it difficult to determine the angle of the inguinal fold relative to the top of the
    Patella.