starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just started SS

Default Just started SS

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Weight : 88Kg
    Height : 180cm

So, I have just started with SS and I am wondering if I am kind of doing it right, I haven't really done any of the 'moves' before, so I spent a first session about a week ago learning the moves with an unweighted bar.

All weight below is in Kg

------------------

Workout 1, 25/01/12 :

1000m row, Back Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift,

on the Back squat I did :
    20x5, 40x5, 50x5, 60x5x3

Overhead Press :
    20x
    30x5x3

Deadlift
    40x5
    50x5
    60x5

Workout 2, 27/01/12 :

20x5, 40x5, 60x3, 65x5x3

Overhead Press :
    20x
    30x3
    35x5x3(f) (I failed on my third set, on the 4th repetition)

Deadlift
    40x3
    50x2
    60x2
    70x5

------------------

So far I am finding everything fairly decent, I should have done bench press but my bench didn't arrive until today, so I am going to do that tomorrow. My shoulder press I was pretty unhappy with, I guess I should have gone up in a slightly smaller increment, but my 1.25 weights haven't arrived yet so this was the smallest jump I could make. It may have been too soon after my last shoulder press and perhaps I could have nailed it, but with alternating bench I think I will have another crack at the 35kg.

The dead lift seems like I could add more weight, but as these are fairly new waters I wasn't sure if I should overdo it.

Any comments would be appreciated, I am having fun with these workouts, hopefully I build up to be strong enough to enjoy the full benefits of the sports that I compete in.

If you have read the book, how can you not be doing it right? We're talking about the simplest routine in the world here. If you mean form wise, we'll need to see videos.

go ahead and keep adding weight to the deadlifts. You should hit 100kg in a few weeks

5kg, even at the start, is a big jump for the overhead press. Start with 2.5kg and when you can't make those jumps decrease it to 1kg

I think you're off to a strong start, good luck! Do you plan on introducing power cleans soon?

Looks good so far. I agree 5 kg is almost always to large a jump for the press. If for some reason microplates are not available I have had some success with upping the reps for a second workout at the same weight, then taking a 5 lb jump. Microloading is superior. I would begin alternating deadlifts and powercleans soon, and not worry about eating extra food until the squat passes bodyweight. You should also post form checks to the technique forum after you get a bodyweight squat.

Welcome to the forum and best wishes for your endeavor of getting stronger.

Your set-up looks fine for now. Eventually your deadlift will get really hard, and alternating with power cleans will be a welcome change of pace.

Thanks for the replies, will post some form videos soon. I feel like things are going well, I guess I will look for some 0.625kg plates too for the Press.

Thanks for the well wishes, look forward to posting some more

Soooooo...

You do actually have the book, right?

And you did your first worksets the way they are explained in the book?

You should not be failing any sets of any exercise any time soon.

If you failed a press set, you need to start much, much lower than you did. And, you definitely need to make 2.50 kilo jumps and assume that you will eventually be making 1 or 1.25 kilo jumps (probably sooner rather than later).

Start your press over at 3x5x25. Do not beat your head against the wall spending time trying to hit 3x5x35. You started too high so just fix it now so that you don't waste time.

Adjustable wrist weights are a decent way to slowly increase the press and bench. I have 5 lb wrist weights that have 5 1 lb weights in them. I just added 1 lb each a workout. THat would be a half kilo for you.

Ok, so I have continued to work on this this week

--------------------

Workout 3, 01/02/12 :

1000m row, Back Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift,

20x5
    40x5
    60x3
    70x5x3

Bench Press :
    20x5
    40x5x3

Deadlift
    40x5
    60x3
    70x2
    80x5

Workout 4, 03/02/12 :

20x5
    40x3
    55x3
    65x3
    75x5x3

Overhead Press :
    20x
    25x5x3

Deadlift
    40x3
    60x2
    75x1
    90x5

--------------------

The Back Squat feels tough, but it keeps moving, the deadlift is starting to be kinda tough, but all sets are fairly unbroken, hopefully with good form. My girlfriend had my camera today, so I will take videos next session.

I moved down on the overhead press, and started kinda low on the bench press, so hopefully they will come along nicely.

My deadlift is now more than my body weight, I will start to change up the exercises some more next week.

Not really sure what to say, I think I'm eating right, I look forward to the sessions, hopefully I am not adding too much weight. I have some 1.25kgs coming, and had to order some more 10kgs as I only had 90kg total.

Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    Yndtp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast