starting strength gym

Thread: HLM Program Check - Training for 1st competition

Default HLM Program Check - Training for 1st competition

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Andy,
    I read your article on HLM and Jordan suggested I try to follow something along those lines as I train for my first meet April 5. Going for 1000 lbs at 198, which doesnt seem much, but I will only have been at this for about 18 months at this point and herniated two discs in my back Oct 2012. I figured out what I'm going to do for the first six weeks, just wanted to see if it looked right.

Work sets - WeightxRepsxSets

M -
    LBBS 5x5 ~90% of 5RM
    Bench 5x5 ~85% of 3RM
    Pull 5x1

W -
    LBBS 5x3 85% of Monday's Weight
    Press 5x3 ~85% of 3RM
    Clean 3x5 ~75% of 1RM

F -
    LBBS 5x5 95% of Monday's Weight
    Close Grip Bench 5x3, 8-10x2 ~ 80% of Monday
    Deadlift 8x3 - 85% of Monday

Does that look alright for a few weeks to start? I understand the idea behind HLM, but am unsure of whether, for example, I should be going for a 5RM on Wed's press or if I should be doing an 8rep max on Friday for Deadlift

Yes, HLM is a very loose template with lots of potential variety. For instance "heavy day" could be 5x5, 5RM, or 5 singles. Heavy can also be though of as "most stressful" For the most part all your heavy work will have a volume component to it the further you are from the meet. As you get closer to the meet then the volume will start to get reduced and intensity goes up.

The structure of your program is fine. Just make sure you adjust heavy day accordingly as meet nears

For an athlete not peaking for a powerlifting meet would you still recommend tapering off the volume at some points and increase intensity occasionally? Obviously a non strength athlete wouldnt be peaking for 1rm but rather building strength without wearing themselves down for competition/practice. Just thought id ask

Yes. How this would occur would be completely situationally dependent