starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost strength numbers from CrossFit! Where do I begin now?

Default Lost strength numbers from CrossFit! Where do I begin now?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Yes, I googled the site for this specific question but didn't find this one. That said:

I've been doing CrossFir for two years now. This time last year I followed Wendlers 5/3/1 and took my numbers to as follows in 6 months:

Deadlift 405 (395 x 3)
    Press 165
    Bench 225
    Squat 325

After 6 months I quit the program and went back to strict CrossFit programming (following mainsite). My lifts are currently:

Deadlift 335
    Press 145
    Bench not sure (not 225)
    Squat 295
    Squat clean 245

These are the starting weights I come up with so far for starting the novice program:

Squat 145
    Press 75
    Deadlift 185
    Bench press 115
    Power clean 115

Where do I start now for a strength program? Novice? If so, are my weight assumptions correct? Am I starting too light?

Start a standard linear progression and go above and beyond your old numbers.

Buy Marks book and read it.
    It is likely to be the best money you ever spend on yourself.

Weights aren't chose arbitrarily but via a titration in the first workout of the program.
    Which you would know if you had the book

What Joe said. You've proven to yourself that crossfit programming doesn't work and you obviously care about being strong. There's a wealth of practical information to that end and that book is where you find it.

I read the 2nd edition PPST. Not sure what you're talking about "titration" through first workout. Yes it's a great book. Recently purchased the 3rd edition.

Quote Originally Posted by noalajim View Post
    I read the 2nd edition PPST. Not sure what you're talking about "titration" through first workout. Yes it's a great book. Recently purchased the 3rd edition.
    Titration. Start with the empty bar your first workout. Squat it for 5. If that's easy (as it damn well better be), add weight in some kind of increments and repeat the effort until you have any slowing of the bar speed. That's your first workset weight. Repeat it for 2 more sets of 5 and move on to the (bench-/) press.

Easy enough. Will this linear progression continue at the rate of a novice? Should I follow the recommended adage of weight (20 DL, 10 SQ, 10 SP, 10 BP, 10 Clean) each new training session? I feel like I would hit a wall quicker than an inexperienced novice.

Easy enough. Will this linear progression continue at the rate of a novice? Should I follow the recommended adage of weight (20 DL, 10 SQ, 10 SP, 10 BP, 10 Clean) each new training session? I feel like I would hit a wall quicker than an inexperienced novice.
    You'll start higher, progress quicker, and fizzle out sooner. But I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    You'll start higher, progress quicker, and fizzle out sooner. But I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers.
    In the third edition PPST. The example he provides of actual linear progression. Don't have it in front of me but its in the novice section.

Okay, so today I'll work up to a slow bar speed then do two more sets of five.

starting strength coach development program
    In the third edition PPST. The example he provides of actual linear progression. Don't have it in front of me but its in the novice section.

Okay, so today I'll work up to a slow bar speed then do two more sets of five.
    I don't have my copy in front of me, but those numbers last 1-2 weeks at most for a novice lifter, then he goes to 15 lbs on the deadlift, 10 on the squat, 5 on the presses. In your case, I'd pick an interval depending on where you end up today. If you have 100 pounds to cover to get to your old lifts, you can probably go 10/10/5/5 or so. If you end up 150 or 200 below your old squat/deadlift numbers, then 20/15/10/10 might make sense, at least until you make up some ground. Just really practice discretion today. You'll be able to lift a lot more if you push yourself than you really should.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast