starting strength gym

Thread: neck strain?

Default neck strain?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    First, SS is awesome and so is this forum.

I am following the SS program for my third time. I used it 10 years ago and gained 40 lbs and a great deal of strength, five years ago for a 25 lb gain and a move into advanced level strength in the lifts. (Thank you for making it available to those of us without access to quality coaches and trainers... and to those wondering, I drank the milk both times.)

Then I got a job, got married, had kids,... and quit training.

I've recently started the program again. Strength gains are coming as expected, and it appeared I might be close to old pr's after another six or eight month period of SS.

Unfortunately, I seem to have strained my neck. I've used the Starr method in the past for a quad issue but am not confident that I can adapt it for a neck strain.

In your experience, can a neck strain be trained through? My inclination is just to ignore and push forward; however, I'm older now and don't know if I should just suck it up and keep training or succumb to vaginitis and sit out for a while.

Any advice?

What have you done to treat it? And where did you find SS 10 years ago?

I took a bunch of ibuprofen, borrowed my wife's tempur-pedic pillow, and finished the week's cycle. It resolved itself so I'm guessing my self-diagnosis was not on target.

I was training at a little gym in DeSoto, TX about 10 years ago, and there was a workout floating around that had people squatting three days a week and drinking a gallon of milk a day. It was just 10-15 stapled pages, as I recall.

cmn

"Starting Strength", as it has come to be called, is more than just the old squat/milk plan, which I do not and never have taken credit for. Hell, I didn't invent any of this, I just put it all in one place and pointed out that novices can get strong every workout for a while.