starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an article

Default Looking for an article

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    There is a movement at my workplace to get some weights put in at one of our buildings. Suprisingly, I had nothing to do with this. I tried a couple of years ago to get a dip and chin up bar put, but that failed miserably. In any event, a proposal was made for a rack, a couple of barbells, 600lb of free weight, etc...

The answer from management was 'maybe', but there was some concern about having free weights instead of machines. I was hoping someone could point me to an article(s) showing that free weights are not inherently more dangerous than machines. I did some searching last night, but I didn't find any articles suitable to share with executive management.

Thank you,
    Bob

Along with the article, illustrate the initial start up savings. Get a quick quote from Rogue, then a rough estimate from Cybex or the machine manufacturer of choice. The price difference will be shocking. Even nice racks, bars, and plates are cheap by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    Along with the article, illustrate the initial start up savings. Get a quick quote from Rogue, then a rough estimate from Cybex or the machine manufacturer of choice. The price difference will be shocking. Even nice racks, bars, and plates are cheap by comparison.
    Except you're going to end up with Crossfitters going in, dropping deads and snatches, bending bars, and generally wrecking the place. I do think that a pre-condition for a barbell-centric gym is strong management and/or close supervision to keep things from getting out of hand.

dpg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I was hoping someone could point me to an article(s) showing that free weights are not inherently more dangerous than machines.
    I found an article that mentioned an AJSM study showing that between 1990 and 2007 nearly 1 million Americans were injured lifting weights; and of those, 90% were from free weights rather than machines.
    http://www.kyforward.com/keven-moore...eful-in-there/

Not what you're looking for I realize, but some filthy, machine-using lowlife who's afraid to lift real weights may use this on you.

Rip, is there some article that explains why people need to squat? Besides the "How I Learned to Stop Leg-Pressing and Use My Ass" which is too long for many people.

Thank you for the article Mark. I have passed that on and will just have to wait and see what happens.

Another question for you. Does the Starting Strength DVD go over basic barbell safety in addition to teaching all of the lifts? You know common sense type of things, for example which way to face the rack when walking out squats. I remember reading items like that in the book. This will be an unsupervised, self policed, type of deal I think making people watch the DVD may be required before they are granted access to the facility. Making people read the book first, just wouldn't work out as well.

Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sidd View Post
    Rip, is there some article that explains why people need to squat? Besides the "How I Learned to Stop Leg-Pressing and Use My Ass" which is too long for many people.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=46380

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    Does the Starting Strength DVD go over basic barbell safety in addition to teaching all of the lifts? You know common sense type of things, for example which way to face the rack when walking out squats. I remember reading items like that in the book. This will be an unsupervised, self policed, type of deal I think making people watch the DVD may be required before they are granted access to the facility. Making people read the book first, just wouldn't work out as well.
    Safety is not discussed in the video. The problem with barbell training is that it requires some preparation to do safely. If these people are not willing to prepare, they should just do some situps and run.

dpg Guest

That's 900,000 free weight injuries that were reported, which could be the tip of the iceberg. I've injured myself a bunch of times lifting weights but never reported it - how about you? I was thinking about that the other day when I saw some statistics showing that weight training has a very low injury rate compared to other sports and activities. Soccer, surprisingly, because it's a non-contact sport, had the highest injury rate per hour played. Much higher, in fact, than weight lifting, either competitive or recreational. But it should be remembered that soccer is played by children, and when children get injured on the playing field there is a strong inclination to get them checked out by a doctor, if only as a precaution. Especially with all those mothers watching. Weight lifters, on the other hand (esp. if this board's recent pain scale discussion is any indication) would have to be bleeding to death or have a crushed windpipe before seeking medical attention; hence their injuries go largely unreported. There are other problems with your interpretation of the statistics, but I'll let those pass by for now.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay, nurse. Triple the injury rate and do the math again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast