starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some people believe overhead pressing is bad for you?

Default Some people believe overhead pressing is bad for you?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Seriously?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...oulder_shocker

I thought defranco was a respected knowledgeable coach, how can anyone with an ounce of logic think that the overhead press is dangerous for most people, especially ATHLETES?

: I bagged heavy overhead pressing years ago – removing them from 99% of my athletes' programs. I've seen great improvements in shoulder health and strength since ditching the heavy overhead presses.

(Only one in fifty athletes I see can overhead press without risk, but they're the genetic outliers, born with more "room" in there than most of us have. And even for them, we'll only work in two-week cycles of light to moderate-weight push presses, Bradford presses, and neutral-grip strongman log presses.)

I don't care if he's the strength training messiah, if he indeed believes what he's saying, he's either a crappy coach because he can't teach a press with appropriate technique, or he's just fucking dumb.

When you press overhead you're basically driving the head of the humorous into the acromion, causing impingements.
    The entire article is pretty humerus.

Read whole quotes or just the bolds for cliff notes
    Defranco-
    "Visualize stripping the skin off the shoulders so you can see the internal anatomy. When you press overhead you're basically driving the head of the humorous into the acromion, causing impingements. Repetitive use of the overhead press can easily lead to tearing of the muscle and tendons involved"

Active Hip Article-
    "The term “active shoulder” has been used to describe what happens when the muscles of the
    shoulder girdle are used to support weight overhead in a way that protects the joint from impingement
    and places the load in balance over the scapulas.
    It involves the active contraction of the trapezius
    muscles, in recognition of the fact that the scapulas articulate with and therefore support the arms in
    the overhead lockout position, and that the traps thus ultimately hold up the weight of the bar if it
    is in balance directly over the glenoid fossa, the “socket” of the ball-and-socket joint of the shoulder.
    The active concentric contraction of the traps at the top of the scapula combined with the tension at
    the bottom of the scapula from the serratus anterior combine to tilt the top of the bone in the medial
    direction, away from the humerus in its position of lockout overhead, thus preventing any possible
    impingement of the soft tissue between the acromion process and the humerus. In effect, the triceps
    and deltoids bring the arm bones into alignment and hold them that way, but the traps hold the load
    up overhead by holding up the scapulas, the bones over which the bar is balanced and supported."

LOL....

I didn't even read the whole article by Defranco yet, but when I read that one paragraph I instantly thought of the active hip article

Edit: I like how he uses triple H approved; because he trains like a body builder. Well John Cena is a fuck of a lot bigger than triple H and he trains for strength so what the fuck
    Last edited by MattJ.D.; 02-24-2012 at 08:06 PM.

What bugs me the most is that this fool didn't stop for a minute to think that pretty much every o-lifter presses pretty often and the said impingement would also happen at a jerk lockout, since the final position is similar. And also that pretty much everyone pressed back in the 50's and they seemed to be doing just fine.

I think he doesn't seem to realize that pressing with horrible technique gives shitty shoulders and so does too much benching and not enough overhead work. Hell I may be wrong, but it would certainly explain the rise of Labrum tears in the past years with the rise in popularity of the bench press and decline of the overhead press

So he's got all these awesome college and high school athletes coming to him, and their shoulders hurt. He concludes that it's because they've been pressing too much, and so pressing is bad for the shoulders. But if they're like most high school and college athletes, they actually weren't pressing much if at all. They were probably benching a shitload, not balancing it out with upper back work, and playing contact sports. So he has them still bench a lot, but now they're doing a bunch of upper back assistance and pt-style shoulder stuff, and their shoulders start to feel better. No shit.

As for the wrestler, who know's what happened there. He could've been doing any number of things to make his shoulders hurt other than pressing properly.

In conclusion: C'mon, Joe D. People listen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronan the Barbarian View Post
    The entire article is pretty humerus.
    Dear god, I'm blaming your behavior on studying. I hope it ends soon.

I am losing it.

starting strength coach development program
    that's it. i'm abandoning the press for the shoulder shocker.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast