starting strength gym

Thread: Box squats for the elderly, and generally: how do you do it?

Default Box squats for the elderly, and generally: how do you do it?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    After seeing Andy Baker's video on squats for the elderly: http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com...quats-elderly/, I realized that generally, I don't know how to do box squats. Does you just touch the box with your ass, then stand back up, or take the weight off your feet first?

I've seen other videos of Andy doing his own box squats. It seems he actually sits, even rocks back onto his ass a bit. Is this safe?

In the context of Andy's "elderly" video, having trainees actually sit would make sense, especially if they're trying to make standing up from the couch easier.

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by pcknshvl View Post
    After seeing Andy Baker's video on squats for the elderly: http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com...quats-elderly/, I realized that generally, I don't know how to do box squats. Does you just touch the box with your ass, then stand back up, or take the weight off your feet first?

I've seen other videos of Andy doing his own box squats. It seems he actually sits, even rocks back onto his ass a bit. Is this safe?

In the context of Andy's "elderly" video, having trainees actually sit would make sense, especially if they're trying to make standing up from the couch easier.

Thanks for the responses!
    You should ask Andy by posting in the thread about his video. Box squats for advanced lifters and for the frail elderly aren't going to be the same exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    You should ask Andy by posting in the thread about his video. Box squats for advanced lifters and for the frail elderly aren't going to be the same exercise.
    Yeah, kind of obvious I should do that. Thought I'd throw this here just to see a general response.

Use a brief pause on the box while staying tight, don't touch and go. Stay tight on the box. Some amount of rocking back is going to happen, but don't exaggerate it.