starting strength gym

Thread: Pushing knees out too much?

Default Pushing knees out too much?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

Is it possible to push your knees out too much? The book says to force them out hard and when I do that all my weight goes to the outer edge of my shoe (Chucks) and the inside edge actually comes off the ground. I've actually developed some type of injury from it that feels like a hamstring pull but also like only the outside of my leg muscles are working and my kneecap is very sore.

Did I push out too much? Did'nt think that was possible. I had my heels shoulder width apart with toes angled 30 degrees. Previously I squatted with my knees tracking wherever felt natural and did not have this problem, but could not get to parallel due to the hip impingement. Any ideas?

Thanks

It's possible, but not likely unless you're not turning your feet out enough to keep the feet in line with the femur. Also, it's possible to push the knees our hard and yet maintain contact between the soles of your feet and the ground. It sounds like you'd benefit from lifting shoes.

We need video to give you any useful feedback.

Everything can be exaggerated, stance too wide/narrow, bar too low/high and knees in/out. I had the same problem at one knee which almost lead to medial problems (band and meniscus irritation). The full cue is "shove the knees out hard but not overdoing it". I think sometimes it is an overrated cue.
    Last edited by tsoukase; 01-28-2014 at 09:06 AM.

I have this issue and I end up feeling it in my groin when my knees pass my toes

Most trainees new to the squat or working out in general will lack flexibility and are physically unable to get them out that far. The cue works really well in those situations.

I destroyed my groin (not in the good way) by shoving out with too much force. My hip/groin was completely fucked for about 2 months before I realized what the problem was. The pain stopped immediately when I stopped forcing them out so damn hard. Now I just make sure they are tracking over my toes, and it's actually happening automatically now.