starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FORM CHECK] Squat and Overhead press

Default [FORM CHECK] Squat and Overhead press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello! I started a couple of weeks ago and decided to get serious about my form. I am still a lightweight baby but I'm getting a lot of soreness on my lower back after lifting day which I think means my core is not strong enough.

I've had back aches before due to sudden heavy lifts because of 0 abs. I lead a very sedentary lifestyle but I want to change all that!

SQUAT 80kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgzsAttIoMQ (squat starts at 0:30s)

They are starting to feel good. I concentrated on driving the hips up this last set and that really made the lift hard. I guess that's the way to do it.

OHP 40kg 2 sets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uABbNv6eaAo (phone almost breaks)

I noticed the bar wasn't going straight up. So I tried leaning back a bit more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5CBJbZDwxU

Thanks for watching!
    Last edited by szuletett; 02-26-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

To inform my comments:

(1) Are you trying to do a SS-style, low bar squat?

(2) Have you read the book and/or watched the DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by szuletett View Post
    They are starting to feel good. I concentrated on driving the hips up this last set and that really made the lift hard. I guess that's the way to do it.
    This statement made me sad.

Hip drive isn't supposed to make a lift "harder." The reason these squats were hard was because the bar was about 4 inches behind the middle of the foot, among other things. Your lower back pain is likely caused by a rather severe lumbar over extension. Both of these issues can be easily fixed by reading the squat chapter. Like Brodie said, read the book.

That's good advice.

If you aren't going to read the book, at least google the part about looking down and getting hip drive.

And something is weird at the top. It looks like you are not standing up all the way after a rep. Pause up there, take a breath, reset, and then hit the next rep. And typing that makes me realize that you probably need to read about the valsalva maneuver too, because if you are doing it than you must be the fastest breather in the world

@Brodie yes I want to do low-bar,

So to summarize up til now

Bar should above the middle of the foot
    Need to ''reset'' after the rep.
    Look down
    Check out the valsalva maneuver

I really appreciate all of your comments and I'll get working on it right away. I'll have another vid up in a couple of weeks. I did read the book, albeit some time ago. I probably thought I understood it too well. I like SS and It's the reason I am here posting these vids. Maybe its just the way I learn but i really need someone to show me the ropes IRL.
    Last edited by szuletett; 02-27-2014 at 04:00 AM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Take a look at it again. The problem with your squat is more fundamental than a few cues. You're not driving your hips at all--you're leading with your chest. YouTube one of Rip's squats, and then compare it to yours. You should see a marked difference in the drive out of the hole.

Change your conception of the squat, and our advice for your next video will be a lot more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Change your conception of the squat, and our advice for your next video will be a lot more helpful.
    Solid advice right there.

Somewhat related: When I was struggling with learning the movement, I watched a bunch of form checks on here. (This was back when Rip was doing most of them.) Trying to watch the video and see what was wrong with someone else's squat made it easier for me to see what was wrong with MY squat

yo I did some reading and I'm back with more videos. Less weight, more reps, hopefully better form. I haven't been going to the gym that much but I got some practice done.

[1]
    [2]
    [3]
    [4]

I'd say [4] is my best one yet but I might be wrong again. If they are getting better then I'll be more motivated to stick to it and start adding weight!

Let me know what you all think please and thanks so much for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by szuletett View Post
    OHP 40kg 2 sets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uABbNv6eaAo (phone almost breaks)

I noticed the bar wasn't going straight up. So I tried leaning back a bit more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5CBJbZDwxU

Thanks for watching!
    Your first set of OHP looked like a push press. Cannot say for sure about the 2nd set.

Separately, YouTube has a 'trim' function - use it to cut off the empty rack, walking to the rack parts.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey thanks for the tip on trimming the videos. I just did tried it out.

Can you comment on my squat videos here?

[1]
    [2]
    [3]
    [4]

Thxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast