starting strength gym

Thread: Form check: squat, bench, power clean

Default Form check: squat, bench, power clean

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Here are some videos from today's workout (March 7, 2014). Could I have some tips to improve my form and not ache so much in the legs (quads and hips mostly) after the squat?

Squat, second work set at 275lbs:
    http://youtu.be/KX7rA1LvRwc

My legs were pretty sore after I finished squatting, but the soreness disappeared by the time I was done with the bench press. I'm worried I might not be getting enough depth.

Bench, second work set at 155lbs:
    http://youtu.be/kMnVVA4YS2k

I'm having trouble keeping my back pinched during this lift.

Power clean, third work set at 145lbs:
    http://youtu.be/_61TAEzYF08

These are fun, but I think I'm doing something weird as I rack the weight. My left shoulder is still a little sore. It's tough to see in the video, but I am using the hook grip.

Squat: Fundamentally good lifting here. If I were being picky, I'd note that your heels come up just a tiny bit at the bottom - probably a product of your selection of squishy footwear. Even if you don't like oly shoes, at least get something stiffer with better support. Also, your wrists appear to be cocked somewhat. Try to get in the habit of straight wrists.

I'm a little torn on your depth. At first glance they look okay, but if I use the adidas stripe as a marker, it looks like you're a bit shy. Unfortunately, the safety arm obstructs my ability to clearly see the crease of your hip (which matters more than the stripe), so I have to sort of extrapolate where I think you are. In any event, you're very close if not there already. Just shove those knees out hard.

No comment on the soreness. I didn't see anything dangerous to note. You're just doing hard work and feeling the result.

BP: Pretty good. Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like your belly rises on the descent. Make sure to take a big air while the bar is at lockout. Then start the rep.

PC: Do a better job of setting your chest before pulling. This will apply to your deadlift too if this is how you're pulling. But back to the PC: You're losing power because your arms are bending too early. The jump happens with straight arms. It will feel much quicker when you first nail this cue. I think the poor rack position is just a symptom of your early arm bend. You want the bar to be higher, but it's not there because you lost power on the pull. That's why you catch it with the elbows in a semi-downward position and then fight (successfully, in your case) to point them straight. But of course you want the rack position to happen sooner.

Thanks. That's not quite as bad as I thought it could have been.

John,

Squat-- Is the bar sitting low enough on your back? That looks high to me. Get those wrists out of the way.

Knees are sliding forward on reps 1-3, not as much in reps 4 and 5 (but that is because you are cutting your depth off on those two, fatigue maybe?). Overall I think you need to be deeper on all five reps, but in particular 4 and 5.

To address the soreness, are the knees shoved out in line with the toes? From this angle, it looks they are not.

I think once you get the bar lower on your back the hip drive will become more apparent.

Bench- Notice how your right toe taps a little through the set...this indicates to me that you are not forming that kinetic chain from foot to lower back that helps support the upper back (and therefore bar) position. My guess is if you plant those feet firmly, the difficulty keeping the back in place will go away.

Also, where is your spotter?

Baresteel nailed the PC advice...set that back first...the time it takes your elbows to travel to the catch position definitely is a symptom of that "bled" power from the weaker starting position.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks!