starting strength gym

Thread: Can't seem to get the bar straight on my back during squats.

Default Can't seem to get the bar straight on my back during squats.

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I noticed that whenever I squat, the bar sits lower on my right shoulder than my left.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

When I get under the bar I don't feel any difference. When I finish squatting though, I get some pain in my left shoulder that sort of radiates down to my elbow. I've been doing those stretches to get into the low bar position better.

So which shoulder is in the right here? Is the bar too low on my right shoulder or too high on my left shoulder? Are there other things I can improve with my arms position?
    Last edited by Polishdude20; 02-02-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Polishdude20,

This perspective is so odd that I'd be surprised if anyone could tell you much (we're not used to assessing bar position or anything else from straight overhead). Try a shot from directly behind when standing, when you first pick the bar out of the rack. Include a post-set shot also if you think its relevant. Have you had any shoulder injuries in the past that might cause an asymmetry?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hanson View Post
    Polishdude20,

This perspective is so odd that I'd be surprised if anyone could tell you much (we're not used to assessing bar position or anything else from straight overhead). Try a shot from directly behind when standing, when you first pick the bar out of the rack. Include a post-set shot also if you think its relevant. Have you had any shoulder injuries in the past that might cause an asymmetry?

Scott
    Ok will do. I've had no shoulder injuries in the past.

The view is ...original to say the least, but I think I am seeing a left elbow which is higher than the right one.

You might also be 'twisted' slightly clockwise (from the point of view of the picture), so you might want to shoot another photo, from the same point, to check (having the safety arms align with the photo borders would help).

IPB