starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check.

Default Squat Form Check.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello SS,

Dom here, just trying to get some feedback on my squats. I recently got some lifting shoes, which are absolutely fantastic.

I feel as if I am having an issue with depth. I believe I am going to low. I have been trying to self diagnose but I feel my form is off. An individual stated I need to drive with my quads more and less with my lower back. Although maybe I am exaggerating the "chain attached to butt" example too much, I cannot tell. I am not sure how to interpret this. Any guidance and feedback is greatly appreciated. I am up to 190lb squat in SS, which is still light for my strength, and athletic capacity (my max was 365 many moons ago, prior to lifting properly and suffering injuries), but as the weight increases I want my form to be pristine.

Squat critique. - YouTube

Form check #3 - YouTube

Check check #4 - YouTube

There are other squat videos from last week on my page if you are interested in viewing and critiquing. Thanks again.

They're pretty good. Going off check 4 I assume that's the last set and also has the best lighting:

Depth is fine definetly not too low, just about perfect. I think you would benefit from just a bit more chest over at the bottom. Don't be afraid of getting over. I think this would tighten your hamstrings up and let you feel depth better. If you really concentrated on a more vertical bar path "the master que" this would also happen. At the bottom of the rep you go a bit off balence. Try concentrating on that.

Don't " drive your quads more" just keep driving hips like you are.

Homebrew,

Thank you for the feedback. I will focus on the master que tomorrow when I reengage. The depth in that video came from being cognizant of my depth, and I tried to stop myself high. Can you elaborate more on the " chest over"? Do you mean my torso angle should be a bit more forward? The lack of balance at the bottom came from me trying to adjust the depth. I self diagnosed, as i watched my videos I could see some "butt wink" and I was trying to correct. Thus leaving me kind of unbalanced and driving with my qauds instead of hips.

I appreciate your feedback, and will be looking forward to more.

V/R
    Dom

More nipple toward the floor.