starting strength gym

Thread: Protein Blends

Default Protein Blends

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm looking for a new protein blend and wanted to get opinions on the following, has anyone ever used these or heard anything about them:

-AtLarge Nutrition Nitrean+ Black Series
    -MuscleFeast Premium Blend

Thanks

Just get a whey protein isolate. Cheaper and just as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Just get a whey protein isolate. Cheaper and just as effective.
    And honestly, they generally taste better, mix easier, and you can customize your shakes all you want that way.

Yeah I've been using ON Gold Standard 100% Whey, just stick to it then?

I've been using MuscleFeast unflavored 100% Whey (which is isolate + concentrate) and Unflavored micellar casein for a year or two. Just got my 1st tub of WPI last week just to see what it's like for a change (i was there to buy casein but there was a sale if i spent over $100).
    Mixed in water w/ the shaker it makes the water white, but it has no flavor or texture. The powder doesn't even have a scent that i can detect. It's almost strange.

(i've also gotten MuscleFeast's oat powder (which is good) and their MCT powder, which also seems fine, but it's mixed w/ 50% by volume of maltodextrin so not for low carbing people. I assume that's necessary because otherwise it would just be a block of coconut oil, but i didn't consider that before i got the stuff. Still it's good if you want to put it in a shake. )

Anyway, i don't have any complaints about their products, though the marketing blurbs on their site are a little off sometimes.

Maybe I am an idiot but I can't really find a true whey isolate; at least not one where the label says the ingredients are whey isolate. They all have some other "whey" in them. Any brands that are really what you are talking about here?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
    I would, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rherington View Post
    Maybe I am an idiot but I can't really find a true whey isolate; at least not one where the label says the ingredients are whey isolate. They all have some other "whey" in them. Any brands that are really what you are talking about here?
    Dymatize ISO-100

I like Now Whey Isolate unflavored. I'm kicking around trying out some isolate from True Nutrition but the same isolate with low cholesterol and fat is about the same price I'm getting for Now from netrition so hard to really switch.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    I like Now Whey Isolate unflavored.
    I alternate between the ON Gold Chocolate and the Now Whey... the NOW Whey (you can get 10lbs for ~110 US on Amazon) mixes just as well as the ON Gold, but has nothing else in it, so the flavors kind of bland, but you can add Nesquik or cocoa powder. Sometimes I do a scoop of NOW and ON and it's not bad. My friend puts her NOW whey directly in her coffee, and technically I did egg nog and milk this morning, so you can get creative.

starting strength coach development program
    You guys know that the ON 100% whey is far from 100% isolate? Read the label note carefully...

"100% whey protein"

...isolates