starting strength gym

Thread: Oats and whey

Default Oats and whey

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Jordan - hopefully a quick question.

Rather than taking whey in Shake form, are there any pros or cons for mixing it in with porridge/oatmeal instead? Does heating whey have any impact?

I've seen people mention oats and whey before - but just wasn't sure whether it meant eating them in the same bowl or not.

I couldn't think of any reason why this would cause a problem. But it's not mentioned on the instructions in the whey container - so wanted to check.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heating it is fine. Some dum-dums will claim "but heat denatures proteinzzz!!!", which is true. However, what do you think is happening in your stomach (pH of 1) when the protein gets there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Heating it is fine. Some dum-dums will claim "but heat denatures proteinzzz!!!", which is true. However, what do you think is happening in your stomach (pH of 1) when the protein gets there?
    How the fuck does the stomach lining deal with that acidity? That's incredible.
    I work with acids of varying strengths and compositions all week and can say organic matter isn't good at resisting a low PH.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll add whey to my morning porridge and see what it tastes like mixed together

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tandy View Post
    How the fuck does the stomach lining deal with that acidity? That's incredible.
    I work with acids of varying strengths and compositions all week and can say organic matter isn't good at resisting a low PH.
    The stomach has a variety of different cells making up its epithelial lining, i.e. what interacts with the contents of the stomach, this "epithelial layer" lines the stomach's mucosa. There are what's known as "mucus neck cells", contained within the glands of the stomach's mucosa. These cells produce mucus at a high enough rate to create an "unstirred" layer of mucus that protects the epithelium from direct contact with the acid of the stomach, which is produced by the parietal cells of the stomach.

Certain situations, like taking NSAIDs for instance, will decrease the production of mucus by the mucus-neck cells and thus predispose a person to acid damage of the mucosa, an ulcer. Patients who are losing lots of blood or who receive a large surface area burn can also see acid-induced damage because in these scenarios there is less blood flow (via hemhorrhage or similar) to the stomach and thus less acid is able to be carried away.

This is like a 10,000 ft view- for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    The stomach has a variety of different cells making up its epithelial lining, i.e. what interacts with the contents of the stomach, this "epithelial layer" lines the stomach's mucosa. There are what's known as "mucus neck cells", contained within the glands of the stomach's mucosa. These cells produce mucus at a high enough rate to create an "unstirred" layer of mucus that protects the epithelium from direct contact with the acid of the stomach, which is produced by the parietal cells of the stomach.

Certain situations, like taking NSAIDs for instance, will decrease the production of mucus by the mucus-neck cells and thus predispose a person to acid damage of the mucosa, an ulcer. Patients who are losing lots of blood or who receive a large surface area burn can also see acid-induced damage because in these scenarios there is less blood flow (via hemhorrhage or similar) to the stomach and thus less acid is able to be carried away.

This is like a 10,000 ft view- for the record.
    Thanks for typing that up, Mr Fig-Blaster.

Appreciate the shorthand version organ function.

starting strength coach development program
    Physiology gainzzz.