starting strength gym

Thread: Ventral Hernia Patch

Default Ventral Hernia Patch

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Teachers,

I weigh 280 lbs, 44 years old, and out of shape my whole life. I had a ventral hernia repair about 13 years ago. It is 2" to the side of my navel. It's one of those patches (need to call the offices of James Sokolove, I guess). I'm starting to "work hard" where I take a deep breath, and actively push down with my diaphragm. I'm up to 265 on the deadlift and 165 on the squat. I think I'm progressing adequately, considering I am a fatass with lots of abuse.

Q: Should I be wearing a belt to keep from ripping the repair? Have you heard of any complications from powerlifting and ventral hernia repairs with a patch?

Aside: I used to belong to the The W. Edwards Deming Institute when I was a machinist and thought manufacturing was my future. Starting Strength seems to agree with Deming's Plan-Do-Study-Act, where CrossFit, etc.., is the total opposite. It's the only "program" that I wished wasn't called a "program". Most "programs" need "air quotes" around the word.

Thanks!

Yes, belt your squats and pulls, NOW. Do not re-injure that repair. And in your circumstances I will recommend that you lose down to 235 as soon as possible, to get the pressure off the separation.

Thanks!

It's stretched over 6'3", so are you sure 235? Doesn't 250 sound more proportional to the height? I got all the way to 325 before I had my Road to Damascus moment. I've gotten rid of the blood pressure meds, overcome sleep apnea, and a host of metabolic problems.

Whatever it takes to get the pressure off the gut.