starting strength gym

Thread: Clarification on "A Clarification"

Default Clarification on "A Clarification"

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,

I started out a few months ago at 6'4" 275 lbs age 46. I have been running the novice progression with my son.

Lifts (3x5)

Bench 135>195
    Squat 135>225 (had a knee that was fucking with me, have it sorted out now and LP continuing)
    Press 65>117.5
    DL 135>275

Clean (just started 95lbs from "hang position" for now)

Pullups couldn't do any > 10 sets of 1 LOL...

Anyhow, when I started I cleaned up my diet, with a big piece of meat fish or eggs at every meal, large serving of veggies or low glycemic index fruit, and a potato with dinner. And my lifts have progressed as above. Weight has come down to 265 ish, but Linear progression is still progressing. As a type 2 diabetic I don't want to put on a ton of weight, but I want to follow the program as best as I can am I doing it right?

Going to pick up Dr. Sullivan's book this weekend so that I am ready when the easy LP stops. Thanks.

My glucometer readings have all been good with this setup, so it would seem the metabolic damage 46 years of sitting on my ass and eating bad, caused, is improving.

GainzZz plus bodyfat loss = You're Doing The Program Correctly

Thanks man.. just gonna keep on grinding until I can't grind no more, then maybe look at a sensible caloric surplus... i.e. just enough to get through any sticking points.

Just to be clear, a fat>borderline obese guy can get away with a slight caloric deficit, if sleep, protein intake and other recovery variables are on point?

At sub 250lbs I would be sub 20 percent BF and then be able to look at a caloric surplus? Not trying to get abs or anything, just big and strong...down to about 260 now and LP still looking up, albeit slowly.

I haven't been clear?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I haven't been clear?

Sorry, I am just thinking out loud.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry Rip, i reread the article, sub 20 percent is where one want's to be to facilitate the best gains.. so I should keep on doing what I am doing.