starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Week 6 of the Bridge, Deadlift single @8 probaly more like a 9.

First time pulling a single since starting LP so the technique isn't great. I kick the bar forward, drop my hips and my chest could be raised up more (if anyone has good ques of what they think of when they do this that would be helpful, thinking simply "chest up" doesn't click with me super well). Any advice welcome, thank you.

Looks pretty darn good, and you know *what* to fix.

Focus on pulling more slack out of the bar.

It looks as though your shoulders aren’t staying out over the bar when the pull starts.

Try to keep your shoulders slightly forward of the bar for longer than you want to, and don’t sit back into the lift. Instead, squeeze the slack out of the bar (I know chest up doesn’t work for you... maybe try to think of putting your lats in your back pockets) and drag the bar up your legs.

You should feel your lats keeping the bar close you throughout the lift, rather than leaning back into the lift to accomplish the same goal.

I have the same problems man... just gotta keep working it!

Shouldn't pull start from "pushing the floor away"? This starts movement with leg extension rather than back extension.

Yeah some more Lat is probably advisable (try hook? Lat activation can be hard with reverse) it looks like it gets away from you at the beginning of your pull, and i’d say you could do a better job of squeezing the bar off the ground.

would be helpful if you vid was from the side angle and with you starting from standing up position. having said that:
    1. the chest up Que is important to create the right angle and help keep your back in extension. The feel should be a stretch in the chest as you try to lift your chest up. you are essential pulling all the slack out of your arms, the bar and your chest. NO SLACK. your not trying to yang the fucking bar off the floor.
    2. To get more lat activation, think about bending the bar around you legs. you will immediately feel you lats fire.
    3. get your back in ext. looks like when you pull you back rounds. now even though you can get your back in extension, under a load you back will flatten. if you start with a flat back then it will round under big loads.
    4. I don't like the alt grip. I learned to hook.
    5. I push my knees against my legs hard before I pull to engage my hips

congrats on the PR

just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by zacrobinson5 View Post
    Week 6 of the Bridge, Deadlift single @8 probaly more like a 9.

First time pulling a single since starting LP so the technique isn't great. I kick the bar forward, drop my hips and my chest could be raised up more (if anyone has good ques of what they think of when they do this that would be helpful, thinking simply "chest up" doesn't click with me super well). Any advice welcome, thank you.
    This isn't great for a form check. It's a single for goodness sake. But yes, you do what you note. You also could look further out in front of you. Freeze your hips and think about putting your shoulders in your back pockets.

Almost everyone has form breakdown at limit weights. Therefore cueing in this instance is unlikely to be helpful. That is why we request sets of 5 for form checks

starting strength coach development program

Week 7 of the bridge. Apologies that this again isn't a set of 5 for a form check, I realize singles won't be perfect in terms of technique but I still find it valuable to work on. Here is 405 x 1 @8 with much better technique than last week. Any advice welcome. Thank you.