starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Thanks for taking a look at this!

I recently hurt my back trying for a deadlift PR at 355lb. I got the bar about 3-4" off the ground and then felt a pop in my lower back. My back stiffened up a bit after I walked around for a while. I took about a week off and then reset my weights to work back up to where I was... I've been trying to really focus on form and staying tight, but I'm a bit paranoid about hurting my back again.

Would really appreciate a check on my deadlift form, as I've always struggled making progress with this one.

315 x 4 x 1 (did a set of 3 reps before this)
    YouTube

Thanks so much!
    Jon

Your hips are little low and they get lower as the set progresses. You may be too far from the bar. I can't tell, but I also suspect your stance may be a little too wide. Can you get a video from about a 45 degree angle?

Yeah, I'll get another angle. sorry about that!
    My stance seems pretty narrow. I would say my heels are about 6" apart, and I'm putting my hands right where the knurling ends on the bar.

I'll get another angle ASAP. Thanks!

I agree with Jeff, your hips get too low. This starts to happen as you are squeezing your chest before you pull the bar off the floor. Keep your hips right where they are when you bring your shins to the bar. The position is uncomfortable but you have to keep those hips up while squeezing your chest and taking the slack out of the bar.

I can see that my hips are probably too low... I think I'm trying to use my legs more to protect my back, but I'm sure my back will be fine once I can figure out how to properly do the lift.

Here is another angle at 45 degrees from the front. Thanks for taking a look!
    YouTube

I wussed out on the 5th rep, as I'm so worried about tweaking my back again and scared to grind it out.

Yeah, your hips are still dropping. Go ahead and do a full re-set between reps for awhile, that may help. Where's your belt on this set?

Your back is actually pretty solid in these. You do need to fully lock out at the top which will actually probably make the set easier and set the bar down faster.

It's so weird to see it on video and realize how it seems like I rush through the set... In my mind I think I'm locking out but clearly i'm not.

Sometimes I feel like I'm able to set my back better without the belt, but maybe that's stupid?

Thanks for the feedback... I got lot's of work to do!

Belts and deadlifts can be tough to manage - that's why there's a number of people who use a different (narrower) belt for deads. Or just don't use one.

Do you have access to a coach or a good training partner? They can help give you live feedback about your lock out. If not, make yourself say full first and last name (not out loud) at the top. This might slow you down a bit and make you lock out.

Closest Starting Strength coach is about 8 hours away, but I've been talking about taking a road trip to get some help for a while. I've met some great people at the gym as well that would help me out too. Thanks so much for the help! It is much appreciated!

starting strength coach development program
    Any time. Are you actually in Utah?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast