Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sick all the time

Default sick all the time

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Coaches,

M, 27yo, 6' 230, doing SS LP

I'm embarrassed to say that I've been doing SS LP for close to a year and a half now, but have yet to break 275 with the squat. I am coming up on what will be my 4th or 5th major reset due to illness. I must admit I am frustrated and at my wit's end with myself and how things are going.

Every reset I've employed has been due to illness of some kind, save for a back injury around 180lbs for the squat. When I say illness, I mean feverish, achy type stuff. Most of the time it starts out as a bad cold and gets worse until it turns into a fever and I'm out of the gym.

I have noticed I usually get sick around the time that a back off period, like what is described in PPST3, is needed for continued progress. It's almost like clock work: I'll fail my squat 3x5 at 270, take a 10% reduction, climb back up, and bam, I'll get sick. It's been incredibly frustrating.

My diet could have more fruits and veggies I suppose, my sleep is maybe like 90% consistent due to my job with wacky hours here and there, but most of the time I get 8 hours at roughly the same times. I'm getting the calories and protein/carbs, at 3000, 200g and 400g a day. 25% bf

I'm not sure what to do. I appreciate any advice. It's strange.. I've never been so sick, so many times in my entire life. Not sure what's going on.

Where do you work? Is there some place you are getting exposed to pathogens at an alarming rate? Probably the only thing you can do is make sure you wash your hands regularly. Also, AIDS. Don't rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    I have noticed I usually get sick around the time that a back off period, like what is described in PPST3, is needed for continued progress. It's almost like clock work: I'll fail my squat 3x5 at 270, take a 10% reduction, climb back up, and bam, I'll get sick. It's been incredibly frustrating.
    Just spit balling here:
    Don't take the reduction. Do a quick deload and jump back to your worksets the next lifting day.
    So, 270 3 sets of 5 -> SiCK -> back at the gym, work up to: 250x5, 260x 5, 270x5. Next training day: 270 for 3 sets of 5 and on you go. You're sick. That is enough of of a reset (You've been resting), get back to training and adding weight as soon as you're better. It sounds to me like you are deloading too much and too often.

I'd also recommend training through the illness unless you are completely and utterly bed ridden.

Also, probably need to see your Dr and get all of your levels checked. You shouldn't be getting ill so much.

I'm an event organizer/facilities guy at a convention center. Duties range from logistical stuff to cleaning the bathrooms. I guess I do come into contact with a lot of germs, but I am almost religious about hand washing, wearing gloves, not touching my face etc. Hours can be long and inconsistent from time to time. I do come in contact with a lot of people. This most recent cold I'm sure I got from a co-worker. We like to refer to this particular individual as the personal space nazi, aka Clingon. The time before that I was house sitting and got poor sleep for 4 days. I guess these aren't surprises given the circumstances, but it just seems frequency and susceptibility are high. I can't sleep well for 4 nights (5-6 hours a night) without getting sick as a dog? Seems strange. That was during the 3rd time I had failed at 270 and taken a 10% reduction.

Been with the same woman faithfully for 7 years and I don't shoot up, so STDs can get ruled out I think.

Do you think it's diet related? I'm great about getting calories and macros, but there are days where I'll eat some fruit in the morning, a multi and that's it for micronutrients for the rest of the day...

I also live in a semi-finished "garden level apartment" (basement). Mold maybe? Thanks again for taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Just spit balling here:
    Don't take the reduction. Do a quick deload and jump back to your worksets the next lifting day.
    So, 270 3 sets of 5 -> SiCK -> back at the gym, work up to: 250x5, 260x 5, 270x5. Next training day: 270 for 3 sets of 5 and on you go. You're sick. That is enough of of a reset (You've been resting), get back to training and adding weight as soon as you're better. It sounds to me like you are deloading too much and too often.

I'd also recommend training through the illness unless you are completely and utterly bed ridden.

Also, probably need to see your Dr and get all of your levels checked. You shouldn't be getting ill so much.
    Some of what you have written is ill-advised, or incorrect, but you are correct that you don't generally need to do a full on reset after being sick, depending upon what was wrong with you. The flu can fuck you up very badly and may require a bigger reset. Hell, the flu manages to kill a bunch of people every year. The idea that being sick qualifies as rest instead of systemic stress is pretty funny, however. If you are sick and contagious, stay the fuck out of the gym so you don't get other people sick, too, unless you are getting paid to work out.

Here's what's going on in more detail:

My SS LP stalls around 270 lbs. I know this because I've gotten to that point three goddamn times. As protocol dictates, I take a reduction in weight at 10%. It's during this reduction period, this back off period, where I'm making jumps back up to 270, that the majority of my illnesses have occurred during my long, long LP.

I continue to go to the gym as normal as long as I'm not coughing or sniffling all over the place, or I don't have a fever. The first two can be minimized with drugs. The third happens, or I feel like the third is about to happen, and I'm out of the gym. It's usually a good call.

What ultimately ends up happening is I'll get sick, be out of the gym for even just a couple days or a week, come back... 250 might have felt light as a feather coming back up in weight, even while sick, but now I can't even get it for a 3x5. So, down comes the weight. And the cycle continues. Ultimately I will spend so much time away from 270 that I will fail with it again, thus starting the cycle over.

The illness part notwithstanding, 270lbs seems like a pretty low number to be stalling at for a 27 year old 6' male at 230lbs. It makes me think you may have some programming errors. Have you read Rip's article on the first three questions?

Just to be clear, the stall isn't happening during the advanced novice phase. I can hit 270 with the squat without any more advanced programming changes. If I didn't get sick, I'm sure I could move on to 275, 280, etc.

However, you do bring up a good point. No, I haven't been doing the program: I haven't been doing power cleans until recently. I had the chance to work with an SS coach. I was deadlifting 350x5 when I stalled on squat at 270. Failed deadlift the next session due to grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Some of what you have written is ill-advised, or incorrect, but you are correct that you don't generally need to do a full on reset after being sick, depending upon what was wrong with you. The flu can fuck you up very badly and may require a bigger reset. Hell, the flu manages to kill a bunch of people every year. The idea that being sick qualifies as rest instead of systemic stress is pretty funny, however. If you are sick and contagious, stay the fuck out of the gym so you don't get other people sick, too, unless you are getting paid to work out.
    Hence the reason for my clarification of "spit balling." What he is doing is not working, I was suggesting something a bit more radical and going in a different direction.

My limited experience in life has revealed that people:
    1. Don't work hard enough
    2. Are, often, not as ill as they think they are
    3. Use circumstances to justify a lack of effort or follow through
    4. Don't push harder for fear of "injury"
    5. deload too much and too often

I trained through cancer treatment. Was pulling 225 two weeks after surgery. I might take a day off when I am bed ridden with fever. Otherwise, I keep training and adjust volume and intensity as necessary. But, I also push myself to get back up to my work sets as quickly as possible. He is young. He probably has more in him than he thinks.

Yes, I recognize there needs to be a balance. I strive for that in my life. I train 3 times a week, might do a bit of conditioning. Try to rest often. I am not suggesting some macho, ra-ra-ra, bs. Just suggesting that, maybe, the OP is erring on the side of caution a bit too frequently.

There is probably a programming issue. Possibly a form issue, but the bigger issue is why he is sick so often? The OP needs to get some bloodwork done.

I'll go back into my hole now.

starting strength coach development program
    I've had good results staying healthy by taking vitamin C. I was taking a multi-vitamin for a long time and it didn't help nearly as much. This is my perception of course. I don't have hard data. I used to get sick all the time, kind of like you describe but not nearly as severe. When you said you get sick almost anytime you go without good sleep for a few days, that made me nod my head. So, for me, vitamin C (not 100% of the DV but more like 2000%) helped. I know Jordan says you don't need vitamin supplements if you eat well, but I don't eat well.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast