starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check at 175

Default Squat form check at 175

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Getting back into lifting after a long layoff and am a couple weeks in to restarting the program. Previous best was 295x5x3, but I think my depth wasn't low enough and I was doing the good morning thing really badly.

Wanted to get an early form check to see if I'm doing things right since I've injured myself with form screw ups in the past. Most of my problems have been related to my shoulders/arms, so I'm really trying to focus on getting my back/bar position right this time.

Thanks!

Drop your elbows. Jacking them up so high and flexing the wrists may be exacerbating your aforementioned arm issues. Narrow your stance a bit and turn your toes out at 30 degrees. They almost look like 45 degrees from here. Go a little deeper. The narrower stance will help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Drop your elbows. Jacking them up so high and flexing the wrists may be exacerbating your aforementioned arm issues. Narrow your stance a bit and turn your toes out at 30 degrees. They almost look like 45 degrees from here. Go a little deeper. The narrower stance will help with that.
    Thank you, that was super helpful. Worked on fixing the wrist position and not cranking the elbows up this morning, and everything definitely felt a lot more stable. I had a little trouble finding the bottom position with the new stance, but maybe that will just come with practice?

A few follow up questions:

1) Do the wrists/elbows look better? It definitely felt very different.
    2) Is stance more correct?
    3) Am I letting my knees slide forward at the bottom? I don't think I am but it feels a little different than when my stance was wider.
    4) Is the extent to which my knees come back and my butt shoots up on the way back up a problem? Do I need to keep the knees more forward on the ascent?

Thanks so much for your time.

Those look pretty good. You could drop your elbows a little, but, in general, your hands and arms are in a decent position. Your squats started off high, but depth improved as the set went along. Go a little deeper yet. Your knees are fine. Don't worry about a little back angle change initially out of the hole. Entirely normal and not problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Those look pretty good. You could drop your elbows a little, but, in general, your hands and arms are in a decent position. Your squats started off high, but depth improved as the set went along. Go a little deeper yet. Your knees are fine. Don't worry about a little back angle change initially out of the hole. Entirely normal and not problematic.
    Thanks, Tom. I'll work on getting down a little bit more at the bottom.

Really appreciate you taking the time.