starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knee Injury

Default Knee Injury

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just using the template provided.
    Age,19 year old male Gender Male, current training status (sqautting just over bodyweight of 145 pounds for 3X5)

- Chief Complaint Sharp pains in left knee when walking down and up stairs and when carrying daughter, hurt to sqaut with empty bar recently.)

- Narrative describing the mechanism of injury: In your own words, Straightened out left leg with 145 pounds on back, sqautting high- bar ass to grass missed the rack and let my left leg save me. Hurt in front upper left leg was a dull ache now just occasion random sharp pain when getting up/carrying things/walking.

- Pain (on a scale of 1-10 is 8),
    - Describe the pain (sharp)
    - What makes it better? Resting
    - What makes it worse? Carrying anything
    - How do your symptoms behave throughout the day? Worst when having to walk stairs, hills or carry toddler.

- Signs and Symptoms (knee x-ray shows no fracture) still cant sqaut and for some reason even overhead press hurts a little?

Has anyone got any idea what happened or what I should do/ask for until the physio? Have booked in with a sports physio but will have to wait as his one of the few sports physio in our area with decent pricing.

I'd need a diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd need a diagnosis.
    I'll come back with one next week. Physiotherapist have a tendency of being pricey in my area, e.g. recouping cheap consults with many sessions. Is their any test i should be particularly open to or asking for? University student here so I'm trying to be frugal.

You'll need an MRI for a correct diagnosis by a "physiotherapist", one generated by a radiologist reading the MRI. A physio cannot do this properly. But really, it will heal without a diagnosis. You have probably figured this out yourself if you've READ THIS BOARD.

In my country (Australia) I don't think you can go directly to a radiologist without a script from a physio/dr. I tried to search advice about physio's/ knee injurys and the like via the google site search but couldnt find a relevant thread to my situation (missing the pins/ straightened limb). I did find that others stating you werent a fan of physiotherapy though I dont know if chiro's are well regulated/relevant or if this or more of an ibuprofen/rest/bill starr rehab deal. If it does get any better I will skip the physio though the pain has stayed for just under a month.

Default Any suggested additons to the workout whilst sqautting is out or restriced to bar?

Seeing as sqauts and deadlifts with decent weight are painful at the moment and seem to be essential to the program so I'm wondering if there is anything I could do beyond eating to not lose progress on those lifts? Some threads resulting from searches seem to have people focusing on upper body but is there anything you'd advise to keep my back working?

Develop a better tolerance for pain. It will come in handy.

Money will let you see a radiologist without a referral. Do you have money?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bungknee View Post
    Hurt in front upper left leg
    Perhaps you could be somewhat more specific. Also, 8/10 pain is comparable to child birth or throat cancer. People in constant 8/10 pain frequently attempt suicide multiple times. Are you sincerely in 8/10 pain?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast