starting strength gym

Thread: Squat -- not tight enough and too deep

Default Squat -- not tight enough and too deep

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    https://youtu.be/kQPJNzfa1No

This is set five of today's 5x5. This weight is not particularly heavy for me -- I've done triple's up to 270 and a single @ 280.

Keeping in mind that I was tired and stumbled a bit forward on rep 5, I'm still disappointed in this set. I'm having a lot of trouble staying tight, even though I tell myself, "stay tight." It also clear from the video that I'm going deeper then necessary. Lastly, the university gym has mirrors all over the place and I caught myself peeking.

Do any coaches have any ideas how I can stay tighter and how to consistently get the depth right? I can do it if someone stands next to me and yells "GO!" when I'm at the right spot, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to feel for it.

Rear oblique is much better for video. I pray every night that people will read the sticky on these things. However, the posts on this subforum provide further evidence of that prayer doesn't work. The complete lack of a plausible mechanism for the efficacy of prayer is another mark against it. I digress... I am not picking on you. Your video is better than some. However, please read the sticky. It will make everything better.

You need to stop flopping in to the bottom of the squat. I suspect your knees need to be out more, but I cannot say for sure from here. Worry a little less about depth and instead do not allow yourself to accelerate right near the bottom. Box squats might help, but you need to know how to do them correctly. Without a competent coach I am hesitant to recommend them to you.