starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last set forced reps?

Default Last set forced reps?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I understand and have practiced the 3X5 across rep scheme. I was wondering if during the last training session of the week if it's advisable to really push the reps during the last set of each exercise or just to keep it the same 'across'.

For example, my last training day this week was Thursday. I was able to do a couple of extra reps on my last set of each exercise. Is that beneficial?

I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt at least. GSLP has you repping out the last set every single session, and plenty of people seem to like it, so just doing it once per week right before two off days seems like it wouldn't hurt. But then again, you wouldn't be "DTFP" so proceed with caution.

It's not the program, but there are other programs that employ as many reps as possible on the last set. SS favors steady progress and avoiding unnecessary volume. Why rep out if you can still up the weight next session? So goes the logic of the program at least.

If you are going to try it, do it with your upper body lifts first and see what happens.

Why don't you ask Andy in his Programming section? I'd be interested in his opinion.

Long term it's probably not going to help you. It's ALWAYS tempting to do more than you should when you feel good, but just remember that you have to take into account the days that you WON'T feel good. On those days, you will recover poorly. If you felt good every single day ever, then this might work. But realistically, probably not in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by PressesPeople View Post
    Long term it's probably not going to help you. It's ALWAYS tempting to do more than you should when you feel good, but just remember that you have to take into account the days that you WON'T feel good. On those days, you will recover poorly. If you felt good every single day ever, then this might work. But realistically, probably not in the long run.
    Good point. This is what I have been doing. I program AMRAP for my last set, but if I am not feeling it I just hit my 4 (doing 4x4 + a few singles type program) and call it a day. I will say that for me it has really helped a lot. Part of the reason why is that I used to bench 2x per week. I now only do it once and just press on the other day. I need a lot of volume to push my bench up, so this kind of training works well. I have been doing it for DL too, but I haven't tried it for squat yet.

You are probably right. I do have a limited recovery profile so it's best to put forth the effort in adding weight at the appropriate time.

I just always have the best results when I hold back on good-feeling days, and still just do my prescribed reps.

starting strength coach development program
    I think doing this occasionally can be a good mental boost. For instance, if you have three reps scheduled, and you hit five, you know you should have at least a couple more weight increases in you. In my experience, the decision to do it should be made in the middle of the set - if you plan to hit more reps just because, and you don't, it's a mental hit, so do it when you get your last prescribed rep and it feels easy as fuck. And don't do it too often or you'll just burn out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast