starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Successful programming following deadlift stall

Default Successful programming following deadlift stall

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I've done extensive searching (it's possible I'm bad at it), and couldn't find a thread on this, so I decided to start one.

Would those with the necessary experience please discuss what you found most successful in terms of deadlift progression after linear progression has run its course?

If possible; including frequency, sets, reps, back offs, percentages, etc. would make for a great resource.

Thanks in advance!

The book says to initiate a back off period for all lifts when they stall the first time. I actually tried to post a question about how much weight to take off for the back off just yesterday, but it never made it to the board for some reason. I hope it does soon

Right. I believe it's around 10% for deloads but might be less for pulls since it's only done once a week by the time you stall, not sure.

However, the purpose of this thread is once LP has run its course, meaning deloads have been completed and trainee is ready for intermediate programming.

I know this wil vary based on individual's training variables, which is why I thought it would be useful to get an idea of what has worked for who.

I just realized that. I didn't notice there were two categories called "programming", one for intermediates/advanced, one for SS newbies. Sorry...

Thank you for your help though!

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Right. I believe it's around 10% for deloads but might be less for pulls since it's only done once a week by the time you stall, not sure.

However, the purpose of this thread is once LP has run its course, meaning deloads have been completed and trainee is ready for intermediate programming.

I know this wil vary based on individual's training variables, which is why I thought it would be useful to get an idea of what has worked for who.
    Dude, there are thousands of possibilities. A clusterfuck thread with all the specific implementations of the principles thatt folks have used really isn't useful to the community.

If you have questions about progressing your deadlift, we need to know much more about you (the usual data...)

Here are a few things which worked for me, though I've never really had a stall from LP. The main reason is that in the past I usually ended changing programming prior to exhausting one method completely. Also of note - some of the methods I use are not those taught by Rippetoe / SSCs.

1. Alternating rep ranges - if you deadlift once per week, alternate 1RM, 3RM, 5RM. Doing 3 sets in each rep range helps to warm up for a new max. For example, if doing a new 3RM, do 90% (3RM), 95% (3RM), 100% (3RM), i.e., the first set is 90% of your maximum three rep set. Mentally, this keeps the training fresh - you don't have to worry about doing a grind at the same rep range next week. Andy Baker describes a similar approach with his "ladder rung" method (in an article on his website).

2. Volume. Backoff sets are great. Do some sets at ~80% of whatever your max is (i.e., if you set a new 3RM of 405, do three sets at 325, reps TBD, maybe 6-8). Higher volume deadlift sets help you learn how to deal with being uncomfortable with a heavy bar in your hands. These can take a toll on recovery, so make sure you get enough sleep!

3. Multiple sets of low reps - Personally, I like these as a great way to accumulate volume at a high intensity. Think of these as "punching the clock" type of workout. Do a set, take a rest, do another set, take a rest, etc. Singles, doubles, triples, etc.

4. Focus on the deadlift. Some programs have you deadlift after heavy squats (e.g. TM). Obviously, this can work. Putting the deadlift on its own day also works. There will be less fatigue within the session, and you could probably get more volume done. There are plenty of lifters much stronger than me who DO combine them, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

5. Assistance exercises - if you have a weakness in your deadlift, assistance exercises MIGHT be helpful to address that weakness. Personally, I think my assistance exercises are still too low to notice an effect. Rows, shrugs, grip work, grip width (clean grip, snatch grip DLs), rack pulls, deficit pulls, etc.

Hope these help.

A
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Dude, there are thousands of possibilities. A clusterfuck thread with all the specific implementations of the principles thatt folks have used really isn't useful to the community.

If you have questions about progressing your deadlift, we need to know much more about you (the usual data...)
    Sorry Coach, I personally thought it would be interesting to get an idea of what has worked for trainees in various situations, and therefore thought others would as well. Having very limited experience myself, I certainly understand your point.

That said, my 101 is 6'0"/195/27/M. 5rm's SQ230, DL305, BP170, PR105

Just over 3 months into LP and have stalled on everything. I already know my numbers are low and my recovery is suboptimal. It took me 3 tries to get 305 on the deadlift, and at 310 I have gone 3, 4, 4. Each time I have failed to get the bar more than a half inch off the floor on the failed rep.

I recently have had scheduling conflicts where now I can only lift twice per week. So, I squat each time (I just reset 10% and am working back up in 2.5lb increments per Coach Campitelli), bench and press each time (alternating one as intensity and one as volume each time, Coach Skillin's idea), and end with weighted chins one day and deadlift the other.

Some options that first popped into my head are:

-Reset (5% enough?) and work back up in 5s. Pulling once a week, a 10% deload means I wouldn't attempt a PR for almost 2 months.

-Reset 10 or 15lb and work back up with triples (2 or 3 sets)

-Do a top triple or a top set of 5 with a back off set or 2

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on where to go from here!
    Last edited by Agilic; 09-21-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Here are a few things which worked for me, though I've never really had a stall from LP. The main reason is that in the past I usually ended changing programming prior to exhausting one method completely. Also of note - some of the methods I use are not those taught by Rippetoe / SSCs.

1. Alternating rep ranges - if you deadlift once per week, alternate 1RM, 3RM, 5RM. Doing 3 sets in each rep range helps to warm up for a new max. For example, if doing a new 3RM, do 90% (3RM), 95% (3RM), 100% (3RM), i.e., the first set is 90% of your maximum three rep set. Mentally, this keeps the training fresh - you don't have to worry about doing a grind at the same rep range next week. Andy Baker describes a similar approach with his "ladder rung" method (in an article on his website).

2. Volume. Backoff sets are great. Do some sets at ~80% of whatever your max is (i.e., if you set a new 3RM of 405, do three sets at 325, reps TBD, maybe 6-8). Higher volume deadlift sets help you learn how to deal with being uncomfortable with a heavy bar in your hands. These can take a toll on recovery, so make sure you get enough sleep!

3. Multiple sets of low reps - Personally, I like these as a great way to accumulate volume at a high intensity. Think of these as "punching the clock" type of workout. Do a set, take a rest, do another set, take a rest, etc. Singles, doubles, triples, etc.

4. Focus on the deadlift. Some programs have you deadlift after heavy squats (e.g. TM). Obviously, this can work. Putting the deadlift on its own day also works. There will be less fatigue within the session, and you could probably get more volume done. There are plenty of lifters much stronger than me who DO combine them, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

5. Assistance exercises - if you have a weakness in your deadlift, assistance exercises MIGHT be helpful to address that weakness. Personally, I think my assistance exercises are still too low to notice an effect. Rows, shrugs, grip work, grip width (clean grip, snatch grip DLs), rack pulls, deficit pulls, etc.

Hope these help.
    Thank you for taking the time to write all that out. Very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    A

Sorry Coach, I personally thought it would be interesting to get an idea of what has worked for trainees in various situations, and therefore thought others would as well. Having very limited experience myself, I certainly understand your point.

That said, my 101 is 6'0"/195/27/M. 5rm's SQ230, DL305, BP170, PR105

Just over 3 months into LP and have stalled on everything. I already know my numbers are low and my recovery is suboptimal. It took me 3 tries to get 305 on the deadlift, and at 310 I have gone 3, 4, 4. Each time I have failed to get the bar more than a half inch off the floor on the failed rep.

I recently have had scheduling conflicts where now I can only lift twice per week. So, I squat each time (I just reset 10% and am working back up in 2.5lb increments per Coach Campitelli), bench and press each time (alternating one as intensity and one as volume each time, Coach Skillin's idea), and end with weighted chins one day and deadlift the other.

Some options that first popped into my head are:

-Reset (5% enough?) and work back up in 5s. Pulling once a week, a 10% deload means I wouldn't attempt a PR for almost 2 months.

-Reset 10 or 15lb and work back up with triples (2 or 3 sets)

-Do a top triple or a top set of 5 with a back off set or 2

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on where to go from here!
    It's a touchy subject, but I'm just going to ask: have you ever had your testosterone levels tested?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    It's a touchy subject, but I'm just going to ask: have you ever had your testosterone levels tested?
    Coach Campitelli asked the same thing and no I have not. Are my numbers that pitiful?

I do have a 7 month old so my sleep is obviously never great, but I would still expect to progress further than I have. I was skinny fat starting out and have recomped some for sure, but have stayed steady at 195. I think I'm still at least 20% BF, so I have been hesitant to gain, but Coach C also recommended shooting for something like a 5lb weight gain over the next couple months, so I've been upping calories slightly for the last week or so.
    Last edited by Agilic; 09-21-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast