starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 week trip no squat rack

Default 1 week trip no squat rack

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I'll be leaving the country for one week. The hotel I'm staying at has a gym, but there is no squat rack. They do have a bench, which means a barbell, which means I can essentially do the whole program including cleaning the barbell for OHP.

But not sure what to do about the squats?

Any advice? Mostly all machines in that gym except for the bench, and some dumbells. It'll only be for a week. Should I do the program without Squats, do bodyweight squats? Clean the bar with 135lb, press it, drop it behind the neck and do squats like that? Maybe squats with just the bar?

Any advice appreciated (I hate going off program, I always follow programs to the letter).

Don't squat. Don't even train. It's a week. Just enjoy your trip.

What about two weeks? Serious question, will be out of the country in a couple months. Just take the time off?

Thanks

I guess to ask you to change "the program" wasn't fair on my part I'll just do the routine without the squats.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    What about two weeks? Serious question, will be out of the country in a couple months. Just take the time off?
    What would be your other option?

Other option is to find a nice and chubby girl (not hating on the guys who are into that), and squat her

Quote Originally Posted by bma_mat View Post
    Thanks

I guess to ask you to change "the program" wasn't fair on my part I'll just do the routine without the squats.
    I don't think Rip was being sarcastic when he said that. Seriously, if you've been training hard, taking a week off is usually a good thing. I often hit PRs the first session after a week off.

Form me, taking some time off sometimes pays off in the long run. I, personally, like to do something, but I really, really wouldn't sweat it too much.

That said I've found that finding gyms in the various countries I've visited is sort of fun. I've seen some very weird things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What would be your other option?
    There isn't anything I could do to really replace it. I just figured maybe there's a bodyweight workout I could do, or good mobility routines, or something along those lines to take advantage of some of the down time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Barbells are everywhere, proper gyms can be found almost anywhere if you do your homework. I say that training in another country and mingling with the folks that train there would be a great experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast