starting strength gym

Thread: Stiff-Leg Deadlift vs. RDL

Default Stiff-Leg Deadlift vs. RDL

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach, love this section of the forum and your bluntness. I have not yet had the fortune to read any of your books, but I respect your opinion from what I know of you. If my question is not worthy of a response, feel free to to ell me F-off. In the Jan/Feb issue of BFS, hey had an article criticizing the RDL. I found it strange that in the same issue they have an article promoting the stiff-leg deadlift:

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/...anDeadlift.pdf

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/...anFeb_SLDL.pdf

Coach, what are your thoughts on this article and the SLDL form shown in the photos? I used to do SLDL myself like this because if felt good. But I stopped using that technique and refrain from teaching it to any athletes because too many of them complain about back-pain. I teach them the flat back and to push the hips back--RDL's. Just wanted to hear opinion.

This really dealt with extensively in the book in over 9 pages, fully illustrated, so I am on record about how they are both valuable. There is a lot of misunderstanding in these articles about what exactly the RDL and the SLDL are, how they should be done, and what happens when they are done this way. I'm really fond of my long-winded explanation, and I'd encourage you to spring for a copy of the book.

Rip, I have not had the pleasure of reading your book yet, but it is on my list of upcoming reads. If you could though, relay to MAXX not to look at the BFS magazines. There is much better information out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jshreck View Post
    Rip, I have not had the pleasure of reading your book yet, but it is on my list of upcoming reads. If you could though, relay to MAXX not to look at the BFS magazines. There is much better information out there.
    Mark, thanks for your reply. I plan on buying the books sometime soon--I keep waiting for those used book discounts on Amazon

Jshrek, I am not a regular reader of BFS material, tho I do buy a lot of equipment from them. I came across those articles on another training forum. The problem with BFS is, it is a major marketing machine. I would guess that it is the most widely used program among high school football coaches in our country.